Am I The Jerk? - VGF resale offer edition

crisi

DIS Veteran
I would be hesitant to list with them if I have the knowledge that they treat potential buyers poorly. That pushes buyers away and could potentially cost a sale. Not to mention the long term impact of poorly treated customers not even checking listings with that broker.
Contracts fairly priced move. I don't care if they are rude to buyers who aren't willing to meet the price on my fairly priced contract because those buyers weren't going to buy my contract anyway. If they have been in business a while, they are selling contracts - as a seller, I just care that they handle closing well and get my price.

Bearval

DIS Veteran
Today I made two offers on VGF resales as follows:

1. Listing was for 160 points, $193/point, Dec UY, semi-loaded. I offered $185/point, which the agent told me was a "pretty good offer". This was through a company that supports the DIS. Ultimately the seller didn't want to come down that low but my husband didn't want to come up, so we passed for now.

2. Listing was for 150 points, $195/point, Dec UY, semi-loaded, can't close until the end of the year. I offered $185/point again (with paying closing costs and dues). This time, I received a rather rude email from the agent, for a company not associated with the DIS, telling me that the seller wants a full price offer and that "Honestly in order to get past ROFR you are going to have to be at or above the asking price".

Am I crazy to think that's simply not true and that my offer was fair? Of course, totally in the seller's rights to hold out for a full-price offer, no issue there. I just felt it was dishonest for the agent to tell me it wouldn't even pass ROFR. Her email made me feel shamed as if I'd totally low-balled the seller

TLDR: Is offering $185/point when it was listed at $195/point truly a lowball offer? and, more importantly, is it at risk for not passing ROFR? The ROFR thread here doesn't seem to indicate that my offer was out of whack at all.
You offer what you want to pay or think is fair, then they can accept, decline or counter. If the agent was rude than they are being unprofessional and what it leads me to believe is that they are not getting any offers close to the asking and are getting frustrated since they most likely told the seller they can get them $195.00 per point or better. Offer what you can afford or deem is fair. You may be their best offer. Don't get bullied into pay ingmore.

Last edited:

Jimmy Geppetto

Mouseketeer
Today I made two offers on VGF resales as follows:

1. Listing was for 160 points, $193/point, Dec UY, semi-loaded. I offered $185/point, which the agent told me was a "pretty good offer". This was through a company that supports the DIS. Ultimately the seller didn't want to come down that low but my husband didn't want to come up, so we passed for now.

2. Listing was for 150 points, $195/point, Dec UY, semi-loaded, can't close until the end of the year. I offered $185/point again (with paying closing costs and dues). This time, I received a rather rude email from the agent, for a company not associated with the DIS, telling me that the seller wants a full price offer and that "Honestly in order to get past ROFR you are going to have to be at or above the asking price".

Am I crazy to think that's simply not true and that my offer was fair? Of course, totally in the seller's rights to hold out for a full-price offer, no issue there. I just felt it was dishonest for the agent to tell me it wouldn't even pass ROFR. Her email made me feel shamed as if I'd totally low-balled the seller

TLDR: Is offering $185/point when it was listed at $195/point truly a lowball offer? and, more importantly, is it at risk for not passing ROFR? The ROFR thread here doesn't seem to indicate that my offer was out of whack at all.
Those were both reasonable offers in my opinion. If you read the latest article published by https://www.dvcresalemarket.com/ it says we entering a buyers market in September. Prices have started to settle. Sometimes certain Brokers know the contract is listed with multiple brokers which can cause the seller to act differently depending which Broker the offer is coming from as some charge higher commission than others.

Stick to your guns... and you will find the right contract for you. Don't give up and don't worry about how your offer is being perceived. You are being more than fair.

dvc lover 1970

DIS Veteran
That was a very reasonable offer. If the seller only wants a full priced offer then they should have listed it that way. I would wait until VGF II goes on sale, and purchase resale then. I can't see VGFII being priced higher than it is right now. I could be blind, but I cannot see 300/per point. If I was spending that, I would rather purchase a condo in the orlando area.

BWV Dreamin

DIS Veteran
It’s just not a bargaining environment right now. It wasn’t even through Covid 2020. Everything is high, partly due to inflation, and people have that mindset. What was a reasonable offer in the past simply is not today. Don’t take it personal. It’s just business.

crisi

DIS Veteran
That's fair. But, the terms would have to be materially better than any other comparably-visible competitor (of which there are several), because brokers with this reputation might turn away some buyers, reducing the pool of people interested in my contract.
I can think of brokers I wouldn't want to deal with due to reputation. But all brokers are people, and all people have bad days. And some people (not necessarily the OP) have thin skin. We've talked before here about people having unrealistic expectations for the broker - particularly from the buyers end. So one bad report - or several over the course of a long period of time, wouldn't turn me off. And I'm not terribly up on brokers right now - not being in a place of buying or selling. I'd want to make that decision when I get there based off their current reputation, terms and how well they appear to be moving contracts. But I don't anticipate being in a place where I NEED to sell quickly.

crisi

DIS Veteran
I would think that a broker who is rude to buyers might also end up being rude to sellers. Perhaps some sellers don't care, perhaps others do care.
As I said, all brokers have bad days. And honestly some buyers have thin skins. And I anticipate my relationship to a broker when I sell to be completely by email and involve just a few bits of communication - all by email. There isn't a lot of room in there for rude.

VGF-Home

Earning My Ears
DVC Gold
Some brokers post the average sale price and the price at which Disney Vacation Club will exercise ROFR. Check ********** and you will find for the average price and the the price at which disney exercised ROFR for the second quarter of 2021.

Brian Noble

Gratefully in Recovery
I'd want to make that decision when I get there based off their current reputation, terms and how well they appear to be moving contracts.
Again, that's fair. My understanding is that there is a brokerage (or two) that has something of a reputation for trying to strong-arm buyers into making better offers---if that's a general perception in "the market," then all other things being (mostly) equal, I am going to go in a different direction.

It's a crowded market with several players, most of whom are more or less indistinguishable in the terms they offer, etc. At that point, these secondary or tertiary considerations matter.

crisi

DIS Veteran
Again, that's fair. My understanding is that there is a brokerage (or two) that has something of a reputation for trying to strong-arm buyers into making better offers---if that's a general perception in "the market," then all other things being (mostly) equal, I am going to go in a different direction.

It's a crowded market with several players, most of whom are more or less indistinguishable in the terms they offer, etc. At that point, these secondary or tertiary considerations matter.
I don't want to bad mouth brokers here where it is frowned upon, but I know of one I wouldn't bother with due to their long term reputation.

BWV Dreamin

DIS Veteran

I did experience that so called “ strong arm” with a couple of brokers. I tried to purchase resale for over a year. Since the resale prices are so high ( wanted to purchase VGF), and that strong arm response when submitting offers, I just decided to purchase direct. The spread was not that great considering I wanted to purchase points under 100.

Connect

TODAY'S HEADLINES