Anyone quite ill after 1st Moderna?

4luv2cdisney

DIS Veteran
I got shot Sunday. Had sore arm by evening and thru Monday. Felt ok Tuesday and today I have a fever!!!! Don't know if I should blow this off to vaccine side effect or if I am my usual unlucky self and got Covid. It is spiking in our county again.

Anyone else? (Please say yes!)

UPDATE: I have Covid.

Last edited:

Christine

DIS Veteran
You *could* be in the window for vaccine side effects. I would have thought the fever would have occurred within 24 hours. Not sure where you live, but it's pretty easy to get a COVID test now and I think it's important to know if you might have the virus. If you do, I think they are recommending delaying the 2nd shot a little bit (although by now that recommendation may have changed). One of my coworkers got her first dose on a Tuesday. By Wednesday evening she had lost her sense of smell and taste. Her doctor recommended she just go get a COVID test because that's not a vaccine side effect. She did, it was negative.

Your situation is a little more complicated but, again, just solve the mystery and get a test.

Christine

DIS Veteran
sounds to me like you have had covid and the shot spiked a immune response kind like how getting the second shot does.
That's true also. If you've previously had COVID, the first shot is going to be worse for you. Although I'm still perplexed on a fever starting at almost 3 days post vaccine. Still within the realm of possibility.

lynxstch

I Love Figment
Hubby has had both Moderna vaccines and had no side effects from either. Sister in law on the other hand had both, and had every symptom they listed on the papers they gave her. Hope you feel better

tzolkin

DIS Veteran
Get a test. My husband had a miserable reaction to both doses (fever of 102-104 for 4 days both times), but his reaction started the same day he received the vaccines.

My BIL had a ”reaction” two days post vaccine and turned out that his whole family (and my parents who he had contact with) all actually have COVID.

4luv2cdisney

DIS Veteran
My girls got the shot on Sunday also. They had symptoms more immediately but are fine now.

I have long suspected I had Covid very early on in the pandemic.

Guess I'll ride out the day / night and go get a test in the morning.

I guess, when I really think about it, I have felt pretty tired since the shot and I was waking up with night sweats. But, um, at this point in my life that isn't exactly abnormal. lol I admit, I didn't take my temp until now.

If I wake up feeling fine, think I should still get tested?

• nicolita3

DIS Veteran
    sounds to me like you have had covid and the shot spiked a immune response kind like how getting the second shot does.
    Everyone I know who had Covid previously got really sick from their covid vaccine (both 1st and 2nd).

ronandannette

I gave myself this tag and I "Like" myself too!
    I got shot Sunday. Had sore arm by evening and thru Monday. Felt ok Tuesday and today I have a fever!!!! Don't know if I should blow this off to vaccine side effect or if I am my usual unlucky self and got Covid. It is spiking in our county again.

Anyone else? (Please say yes!)
    Call your pharmacist or doctor and discuss it with them. Not Moderna, but a few months ago I took Shingrex vaccine. The side-effects were so sever and long-lasting (developed more every day over a week) that I reported myself for symptomatic Covid testing because I just HAD to be sure. Of course I didn't have it, and even when I got the shot they specifically warned me the side-effects are essentially the same as the symptoms for Covid so I could expect it, but it totally did a number on my head.

• MIGrandma

Lives in the middle-of-the-mitten.
    I had COVID in November. Got my first Moderna vaccine last month. In the wee hours of the next morning I started having chills and achyness which lasted until that night. I get my second shot tomorrow.

Last edited:

penn19

DIS Veteran
    Call your pharmacist or doctor and discuss it with them. Not Moderna, but a few months ago I took Shingrex vaccine. The side-effects were so sever and long-lasting (developed more every day over a week) that I reported myself for symptomatic Covid testing because I just HAD to be sure. Of course I didn't have it, and even when I got the shot they specifically warned me the side-effects are essentially the same as the symptoms for Covid so I could expect it, but it totally did a number on my head.
    Shingrix was horrible for me! The second shot wasn’t so bad though.

DisneyTeacher

DIS Veteran
    I was pretty sick after my first Moderna vaccine. I had covid in late November and my first vaccine in February. About 30 hours after my first shot I started throwing up and didn’t leave the bathroom for two and a half hours. About two hours in my husband asked me if I wanted to go to the hospital it was that bad. It stopped as suddenly as it started and I was absolutely fine after that. It was like a switch being flipped when it started and stopped. No reaction to the second dose.

GAN

DIS Veteran
    Yes ....this would be common. But I've known some older people(60+) that got fairly sick from the first dose. Everyone is different so I would give it a couple days. The good news is that the 2nd is likely to be less severe.

hereyago

Miss My Boy Nubbs
    My arm was sore for a day. A couple hours after shot, I got tired quickly. I also had chills on and off for almost 2 days.

i’ll be getting second dose in couple weeks, see what that brings.

Last edited:

Connect

TODAY'S HEADLINES