Choosing Home Resort

Adg0428

Mouseketeer
I think I’ve finally made up my mind that I’m ready to purchase resale. Although not buying direct does stress me out a little (I like the idea of being able to book new resorts).

Poly is my favorite because of theming, but for practicality reasons I think I’m going to go with BLT. Same location perks, other size rooms, and with the hope Poly is available at 7 months.

before we pull the trigger, buying SSR isn’t a good idea right? I tossed the idea around since it’s cheaper and with the hope to never stay there and book elsewhere at 7 months. Also, favorite resale sites?

Stargazer65

DIS Veteran
Poly is my favorite because of theming, but for practicality reasons I think I’m going to go with BLT. Same location perks, other size rooms, and with the hope Poly is available at 7 months.

before we pull the trigger, buying SSR isn’t a good idea right? I tossed the idea around since it’s cheaper and with the hope to never stay there and book elsewhere at 7 months. Also, favorite resale sites?
BLT is a great choice! It's the favorite of the 3 that I own, and if I downsize it will be the last I hold on to. Lots of room choices, prime location, good point chart, good dues.
I really like the Poly resort as well, the only thing I don't like about it is the lack of room choices, and I was able to get it at 7 months anyway. I know that availability varies, but not enough to entice me to buy a studio only resort. I don't consider the bungalows a good option.
I wouldn't say buying SSR isn't a good idea, since I like it and own there too. It is a cheaper way to get points and like BLT has a great room choice mix as well, but if you don't ever want to stay there, then it'd probably not be worth the savings on points.

Adg0428

Mouseketeer
BLT is a great choice! It's the favorite of the 3 that I own, and if I downsize it will be the last I hold on to. Lots of room choices, prime location, good point chart, good dues.
I really like the Poly resort as well, the only thing I don't like about it is the lack of room choices, and I was able to get it at 7 months anyway. I know that availability varies, but not enough to entice me to buy a studio only resort. I don't consider the bungalows a good option.
I wouldn't say buying SSR isn't a good idea, since I like it and own there too. It is a cheaper way to get points and like BLT has a great room choice mix as well, but if you don't ever want to stay there, then it'd probably not be worth the savings on points.
Thank you for the insight!

wnielsen1

Needs non-expiring passes
I think I’ve finally made up my mind that I’m ready to purchase resale. Although not buying direct does stress me out a little (I like the idea of being able to book new resorts).

Nothing wrong with SSR, many people do this. However, BLT has a nice mix of number of years remaining, reasonable dues, and a great location! Getting into Poly is possible as long as it is not Fall Frenzy (generally late September through the first week of January).

chalee94

DIS Veteran

before we pull the trigger, buying SSR isn’t a good idea right? I tossed the idea around since it’s cheaper and with the hope to never stay there and book elsewhere at 7 months.
Based on the underlined, don't buy at SSR. It's the cheapest but availability may be more compressed for the next few years, so if you'd prefer to stay at Poly but are OK with staying at BLT and would be bummed to be "stuck" at SSR, then BLT is your best bet.

"Buy where you don't mind staying."

favorite resale sites? Start here:

DVC Resales - Disney Vacation Club Reasale Listings - DVC Timeshare Store (dvcstore.com)

DVC Resale: Buy & Sell Disney Vacation Club (dvcresalemarket.com)

Marionnette

Children see magic because they look for it

If you hope to never stay at SSR, then don't buy there. Or for that matter, don't buy any resort that you don't ever want to stay at.

Aside from the variety of room types, do you like BLT? Would you be okay staying there if you couldn't book a different resort at 7 months? FWIW, if you intend to mostly stay in studios, make sure that you like the BLT layout. Those studios are small!

And if you have FOMO by going resale, perhaps buying VGF2 might work better for you when it goes on sale. MK area, walk to MK or monorail or boat. Larger studios. Variety of villas in the VGF1 building. It might be worth waiting until VGF2 goes on sale before you make a decision.

CarolMN

DVC Co-Moderator
Seriously, do not buy a resort that you do not want to be "stuck" with if your other choice(s) aren't available at 7 months. This is particularly true if you are planning on studios or the more popular booking categories (generally the less expensive options). As already mentioned, there are some times of the year where it is very difficult to book non-home resorts at 7 months. Any up front savings will soon be forgotten if you are always wishing you could be at another resort.

Good luck with your decision.

kanerf

DIS Veteran
The problem with BLT right now is that the resale pricing has gone crazy. The smaller packages are going for over $200 a point when you can buy Riviera direct for $201 a point. If you are going with BLT, make sure you look for over 100 point packages.

FSUSammy

DIS Veteran
That's exactly why we chose BLT over Poly. We absolutely love Poly and the theming but the studios just killed that idea because we were adding on because we wanted to take more trips with extended family and that would require bigger rooms.

Adg0428

Mouseketeer
If you hope to never stay at SSR, then don't buy there. Or for that matter, don't buy any resort that you don't ever want to stay at.

Aside from the variety of room types, do you like BLT? Would you be okay staying there if you couldn't book a different resort at 7 months? FWIW, if you intend to mostly stay in studios, make sure that you like the BLT layout. Those studios are small!

And if you have FOMO by going resale, perhaps buying VGF2 might work better for you when it goes on sale. MK area, walk to MK or monorail or boat. Larger studios. Variety of villas in the VGF1 building. It might be worth waiting until VGF2 goes on sale before you make a decision.
Where can I find more information on VGF2?

Adg0428

Mouseketeer
The problem with BLT right now is that the resale pricing has gone crazy. The smaller packages are going for over $200 a point when you can buy Riviera direct for $201 a point. If you are going with BLT, make sure you look for over 100 point packages.
Thank you! I’m looking at 150-200pts for about $165pp before negotiations

Sandisw

DVC Forums
I agree with others that SSR is not a good choice, savings aside. DVC is a lot of money to buy something now to save a few thousand dollars, only to be disappointed using it. It is about long term happiness and if being in the MK area is where you hope to be, I'd go with BLT!

thanxfornoticin

DIS Veteran
Based on the OPs initial comments, purchasing SSR would not be a good idea (although I can say it's not a terrible place to enjoy a stay!). BLT is an amazing resort and will offer many options. Good luck with your purchase and welcome home!

Connect

TODAY'S HEADLINES