Covid And The Rest of Us

fab1976

DIS Veteran
I was browsing our national dashboard and had a look at the articles it has. It has an article about vaccinations and ramadan.
I am not a muslim, so it's outside my frame of reference of course, it never occured to me that this could be an issue. Our government made a video with an arabist / theologist / board member of a mosque to explain Islam's views on vaccinations. It was really interesting. There are no animal products in the vaccins so it is a halal product (and vegans don't have to worry either).
Our Public health office put out a video with a Muslim doctor to encourage people to get their vaccine during Ramadan. I really hope those who are eligible follow her advice!

SirDuff

DIS Veteran
Got a lovely birthday present from the Swiss government - at noon I got a text saying that my vaccine appointment had been set. For 17h00 today! Talk about short notice.

I got the Pfizer.

A friend also got his today but he got his notice on Monday and his wife, whose apointment is next Tuesday, also got her notice on Monday. Not sure why I only got less than six hours notice. I did have to move a meeting, but no one questions it when I said I why I was moving it.

NAB

<font color=green>That first page just got too hea
Well Ontario Canada just extended our stay at home order to 6 weeks from 4.

Also closing our borders to each province on both side of us. Back to 25% in grocery stores , 10 people in church and you can only be with your household and one other person if they are alone. Play grounds are closed again. They just opened golf but now all sports are shut down.

I wish we had supply of vaccine. Our shipments have been delayed with 2.8 million appointments waiting. They say 4 million by May and another 2 million for June and July. So that is 8 million and that goes all across Canada so you do the math...it’s really sad.

Jrb1979

DIS Veteran

Also closing our borders to each province on both side of us. Back to 25% in grocery stores , 10 people in church and you can only be with your household and one other person if they are alone. Play grounds are closed again. They just opened golf but now all sports are shut down.

I wish we had supply of vaccine. Our shipments have been delayed with 2.8 million appointments waiting. They say 4 million by May and another 2 million for June and July. So that is 8 million and that goes all across Canada so you do the math...it’s really sad.
To add to your post they are also allowing police to enforce the rules and stop people from leaving their homes for non essential reasons.

NAB

To add to your post they are also allowing police to enforce the rules and stop people from leaving their homes for non essential reasons.
Yes ...if you don’t have a reason and stopped it is a $750. ticket. You can go to appointments, pharmacy and grocery shop . People can still go to essential work though.

We are back to the very beginning.

lisaviolet

DIS Veteran
We are back to the very beginning.
Well a completely asinine version of the beginning.

Below has nada to do with you NAB, just jumping off your post -

I know variants have changed the ball game, but come on outside is still the safest place to be, if one is not going to stay locked in their homes. And to put even more restrictions on outside play and enjoyment is insane. Insane for virus transmission and insane for mental health. Insane for family dynamics and people keeping their cool. The majority of these politicians live in larger houses, with ample room and many luxuries. And often lovely backyards. And in most cases without younger children. They have to see beyond their own living conditions.

Dr. Sharkawy stated last fall that there was zero evidence of transmission outdoors. Zero, Nada. Zilch.

I know the variants have impacted that flat line. I have yet to see the evidence of it, but certainly not denying that it exists. But don't send people inside where they are apt to have more closed contact with loved ones. And bring people in instead.

I was out all last summer, daily. I always followed number rules, but many didn't. At the island there could be droves of young people having a blast outside in very condensed groupings, on any given day. At first I judged a bit because they were breaking the contact rules. But then I let it all go. Our numbers fell last summer, with people out and about in parks and on trails.

Stupid, just plain stupid. Even Dougie was angry about the amount of people in the parks. Stop! Be more concerned about the amount of people in perpetual shopping mode, visiting others and constricted work places.

People in parks are not the problem.

Just educate the needs with the new variants.

Last edited:

NFLDERS

Stay Safe
Well a completely asinine version of the beginning.

Below has nada to do with you NAB, just jumping off your post -

I know variants have changed the ball game, but come on outside is still the safest place to be, if one is not going to stay locked in their homes. And to put even more restrictions on outside play and enjoyment is insane. Insane for virus transmission and insane for mental health. Insane for family dynamics and people keeping their cool. The majority of these politicians live in larger houses, with ample room and many luxuries. And often lovely backyards. And in most cases without younger children. They have to see beyond their own living conditions.

Dr. Sharkawy stated last fall that there was zero evidence of transmission outdoors. Zero, Nada. Zilch.

I know the variants have impacted that flat line. I have yet to see the evidence of it, but certainly not denying that it exists. But don't send people inside where they are apt to have more closed contact with loved ones. And bring people in instead.

I was out all last summer, daily. I always followed number rules, but many didn't. At the island there could be droves of young people having a blast outside in very condensed groupings, on any given day. At first I judged a bit because they were breaking the contact rules. But then I let it all go. Our numbers fell last summer, with people out and about in parks and on trails.

Stupid, just plain stupid. Even Dougie was angry about the amount of people in the parks. Stop! Be more concerned about the amount of people in perpetual shopping mode, visiting others and constricted work places.

People in parks are not the problem.

Just educate the needs with the new variants.
While I agree for the most part, I have to say while further restrictions are unfortunate it's badly needed here in Niagara. We were/are witnessing blatant disregard of the restrictions during the last two lockdowns.

I'm hopeful the Premier will follow through with International flight restrictions too, through talks with the federal government.

• lisaviolet

DIS Veteran
    While I agree for the most part, I have to say while further restrictions are unfortunate it's badly needed here in Niagara. We were/are witnessing blatant disregard of the restrictions during the last two lockdowns.
    I have zero issue with restrictions in general.

I do have an issue with outdoor restrictions, especially with little data provided. It is easy to have a home, with a backyard, space and little financial constraints and say just stay home. Order in your food and just press an Amazon button at will.

Can you imagine being in an apartment with a growing family and possible marital/relationship stressors, maybe a lost job and having to feel like a criminal to use a playground?

Park goers are not spreading this virus.

Last edited:

707MickeyGirl

DIS Veteran
    Can you imagine being in an apartment with a growing family and possible marital/relationship stressors and having to feel like a criminal to use a playground? Park goers are not spreading this virus.
    That's terrible... :( You should be able to use outdoor spaces, safely, without feeling bad about it. Last week I was walking my dog and a woman yelled me from her porch (about 15 feet from the sidewalk) because I wasn't wearing a mask. I never get near people when I'm walking my dog - we cross the street if anyone is approaching head-on, and we wait if anyone is crossing our path.

NAB

That's terrible... :( You should be able to use outdoor spaces, safely, without feeling bad about it. Last week I was walking my dog and a woman yelled me from her porch (about 15 feet from the sidewalk) because I wasn't wearing a mask. I never get near people when I'm walking my dog - we cross the street if anyone is approaching head-on, and we wait if anyone is crossing our path.
    We can go out and walk or exercise. They have a problem with groups going to parks and gathering with people that are not from their household.

I walk every day too and cross the street or go way over away from people. Not all do they would get in your space if you didn’t move.

DisneYE

DIS Veteran

Can I ask:
    Why is Ontario/Canada panicking like this is the apocalypse ?
    The entire country of Canada has less daily deaths/cases than the state of Florida.
    Having 50 deaths/day is tragic for sure but shut down the entire country for that?
    Florida has about 2x the daily deaths than Canada (just checked worldometers) and about the same number of cases (with about 1/2 the pop) and everything is open and almost no restrictions.
    Why the panic? Seems overblown.

• adkkev

hiking fool
    Can I ask:
    The entire country of Canada has less daily deaths/cases than the state of Florida.
    Having 50 deaths/day is tragic for sure but shut down the entire country for that?
    Florida has about 2x the daily deaths than Canada (just checked worldometers) and about the same number of cases (with about 1/2 the pop) and everything is open and almost no restrictions.
    Ontario hospitals are being stretched to the limits and hospitalizations are rising steadily. So while deaths may be relatively low (in comparison), people are getting sick in ever growing numbers and getting hospitalized. And the vaccination program isn’t going all that well either.

mom2rtk

Invented the term "Characterpalooza"

I'm hopeful the Premier will follow through with International flight restrictions too, through talks with the federal government.
    How are more restrictions the answer to people disregarding restrictions?

ronandannette

I gave myself this tag and I "Like" myself too!
    Can I ask:
    :sad2: Or, seen another way, had Florida taken prudent measures, perhaps some of those 35,000 people would still be alive. None of us here like the restrictions we live under coast-to-coast and there have been many heartbreaking unintended consequences. Yet you'll find few Canadians saying we should have just thrown everything open.

fla4fun

DIS Veteran
    :sad2: Or, seen another way, had Florida taken prudent measures, perhaps some of those 35,000 people would still be alive. None of us here like the restrictions we live under coast-to-coast and there have been many heartbreaking unintended consequences. Yet you'll find few Canadians saying we should have just thrown everything open.
    I would like to think that a compromise would be best. I agree that Florida hasn’t handled things well, and my family members who live here have taken much more conservative measures than those required. But I also agree that it is the mixing of households indoors that is the highest risk - not being outdoors, where other people are keeping their distance. I feel getting outside and partaking in an activity where you can safely distance from others is vital to a person’s mental health. If you are outdoors and masked (which I have been) the risk is even lower. I am very concerned about the mental health of everyone after this virus is more contained, but in particular people who have been so strictly isolated. As a person who lives alone, it’s tough.

ronandannette

How are more restrictions the answer to people disregarding restrictions?
    They are not, but that's not exactly the main thing that's happening either. It's more a matter of the regrettable necessity of beginning to enforce restrictions with resolve. Up until now (and not only in Ontario) Canadians have mostly voluntarily complied with everything they've thrown at us. Those that don't have mostly had impunity. Even with things like snitch lines (in Calgary) taking dozens of reports per day and roving platoons of By-Law Enforcement Officers stalking retail stores, playgrounds and churches, very few fines have actually been handed out and even fewer harsher measures. As I referenced a while upthread, mandatory hotel quarantine has been a bad joke and now the province of BC has stopped even bothering typing variants amongst Covid-positive in-coming travellers because it's too late to make any difference.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/16/ontario-coronavirus-police-powers-covid-canada

Last edited:

TLSnell1981

Tiny bubbles... make me happy... make me feel fine
    They are not, but that's not exactly the main thing that's happening either. It's more a matter of the regrettable necessity of beginning to enforce restrictions with resolve. Up until now (and not only in Ontario) Canadians have mostly voluntarily complied with everything they've thrown at us. Those that don't have mostly had impunity. Even with things like snitch lines (in Calgary) taking dozens of reports per day and roving platoons of By-Law Enforcement Officers stalking retain stores, playgrounds and churches, very few fines have actually been handed out and even fewer harsher measures. As I referenced a while upthread, mandatory hotel quarantine has been a bad joke and now the province of BC has stopped even bothering typing variants amongst Covid-positive in-coming travellers because it's too late to make any difference.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/16/ontario-coronavirus-police-powers-covid-canada
    OMG that is scary!

ronandannette

I would like to think that a compromise would be best. I agree that Florida hasn’t handled things well, and my family members who live here have taken much more conservative measures than those required. But I also agree that it is the mixing of households indoors that is the highest risk - not being outdoors, where other people are keeping their distance. I feel getting outside and partaking in an activity where you can safely distance from others is vital to a person’s mental health. If you are outdoors and masked (which I have been) the risk is even lower. I am very concerned about the mental health of everyone after this virus is more contained, but in particular people who have been so strictly isolated. As a person who lives alone, it’s tough.
    I'm not the only non-US DIS'er that marvels at some of the threads here where it is apparent that much of America has been left free to decide for itself what measures will or will not be taken. The "After You've Been Vaccinated" thread is particularly astonishing. Here (and in most other countries) it doesn't matter what you feel safe or comfortable doing - the restrictions decide what you will actually do, vaccinated or not.

I certainly agree with you and @lisaviolet about the proposed crack-down on outside activities. Outdoor meetings of groups of 6 or less are the only kind that have been allowed here for the past 6 months and the problem with that is the impracticality of it during harsh Canadian winters. As of now, only Ontario has imposed a ban on that and frankly, they are currently in "throw anything at it and see what sticks" mode.

ronandannette

OMG that is scary!
    :confused3 To you maybe. Here, it's just another pandemic day in paradise. While a great many of us are very unhappy about being so constrained, in general most Canadians don't fear or deeply distrust our leadership, even if we personally didn't vote for them and occasionally think they're goofs.

Connect

TODAY'S HEADLINES