Death certificate delaying closing?

Gordo Gato

Earning My Ears
Hi all-
We own 2 contracts and have a 3rd in process. It passed ROFR (it took 19 days) before the shutdown in July, we have signed and wired the payment, but have been waiting 3 or so weeks for the seller to sign. After waiting 2 weeks, we asked about the delay and were told it was because they needed their spouse’s death certificate (per Google search, spouse died 15 months ago).

We are trying to be empathetic but at the same we are kind of upset that they didn’t have what they needed to sell lined up and ready. We have no idea when they are going to be able to complete their end of the agreement.

We don’t need the points immediately and they have banked the current UY. I hate to be suspicious or pessimistic but we are struggling with what is going on and whether or not the are going to back out. It’s the right contract for us and we don’t want to walk away at this point because we are 2 months into the process.

The resale broker is reputable (we think: they sold us our first in 2009 and they have a significant web presence) but we have not worked with the title company.

Has anyone run into this before and how long did it take for everything to be ironed out?

thank you!

Last edited:

Sandisw

DVC Forums
There are many reasons why a seller may be delayed in getting the paperwork back. My seller recently took 1 month and to be honest, not sure there was even a good reason. I was fine with it at first because we were waiting for the proceeds from the contract we sold.

I don't think they would be making something up but maybe something the owner just didn't thin about, maybe has moved since they and needs to get a new one? All you can do is keep in touch with the broker and hope everything gets done quickly.

Drewsdad

Mouseketeer
Kinda happened to me. My spouse passed and 3 years later when I was selling the house at closing the attorney said we need her death certificate. My house was packed and I had to find this at the last minute.

I hope this goes smooth for you.

Gordo Gato

Earning My Ears
don't think they would be making something up but maybe something the owner just didn't thin about, maybe has moved since they and needs to get a new one? All you can do is keep in touch with the broker and hope everything gets done quickly.
Thank you for your experience! We have a ton of anxiety having wired a chunk of money and frankly have not had great or consistent communication from the broker and title company which is less about the seller and more about them.

Kinda happened to me. My spouse passed and 3 years later when I was selling the house at closing the attorney said we need her death certificate. My house was packed and I had to find this at the last minute.

I hope this goes smooth for you.
I don’t have enough words to say I’m so sorry for your loss! I so appreciate your perspective on this. We kind of have the sense an attorney or estate executor is handling the sale so I think that’s why we assumed all their ducks were in a row. Again more about the people handling the sale than the seller.

Connect

TODAY'S HEADLINES