Is anyone holding out hope for international travel at the end of the year?

Hannah nz

Earning My Ears
Joined
Aug 4, 2015
We have a 3 week Florida trip booked for September. I am realistically thinking its not possible but part of me wants to hold on until just before free cancellation ends.
In NZ we are out of our intense lockdown and allowed to travel domestically. Air NZ has suspended USA flights untill 30th June at this stage but there is no knowing if that will change or we can travel safely without quarantine.

Obviously health and welfare of people are far more important than my holiday but at the same time companies need tourists to travel (when safe) to pay all their workers.

Would you cancel now and make alternative plans or just wait and see? We can cancel free of charge and have no air fare booked.
 

AussieNSW

Mouseketeer
Joined
Jul 10, 2012
I understand holding on till just before the free cancellation ends. It’s nice to be hopeful that’s why I haven’t cancelled my accommodation beginning of dec in Anaheim. I actually think I have no chance of going. I base that on easy interstate travel being talked about for July in Australia and rumours of a pacific travel bubble opening up after that which would include New Zealand.
We are still getting cases in New South Wales ( Sydney) and they are mainly coming from international travellers who are in 14 day quarantine. While this is still happening I cannot see Australia encouraging international travel or allowing it unless under certain circumstances.
I feel New Zealand will be very similar with opening up international borders and removing 14day quarantine. That may change if a vaccine is found. The fact that the US has such high numbers and due to the way they are continuing to handle it I think it will be a long time till it is a simple trip to the USA and a number of other countries.
 

Chol

Earning My Ears
Joined
Feb 19, 2020
We have a trip in Oct. I have been waiting for Qantas to extend their cancellation window to Oct, which just happened yesterday. I am now trying to see if I have any options with my DVC reservation. Even if it was possible I don't know what the experience would be like. I also don't want Qantas to keep the flight but my accommodation is stuffed, Qantas won't care about that, so I decided to try cancel for next year.
 

Hannah nz

Earning My Ears
Joined
Aug 4, 2015
Thankfully we don't have flights to worry about cancelling. I feel like travel to the US will not be open and easy for a while too. I guess there is no harm in us waiting to cancel. I want to be hopeful but not crazy! Also don't want to spend all this money for a reduced experience.
 

Jocelynaus

Mouseketeer
Joined
Dec 13, 2018
If you can cancel free of charge I would, or do so at the end of that window if holding on to the idea is nice rather than not nice for you.

I am doubtful of overseas travel before April 2021, maybe longer. our infection rates are so low I think the overseas travel ban could stay for a year or in till there is a vaccine.

id really like it to be lifted (safely) though. I have trip to DLP planned next May.
 

kirstyfly

Mouseketeer
Joined
Jul 4, 2003
Yeah i don't see it happening sorry to say.

We were meant to be going 5-16th October flying with American Airlines from Auckland. They cancelled their Auckland to LA route a while ago now and aren't starting again till near the end of October. (They cancelled it so we are getting our money refunded on the tickets just minus the credit card fee).

We cancelled the hotel booking on expedia and it was a pay when you get there deal so no money to refund.

Disney tickets we bought the 10 pass with Expedia and were refunded in full.

I'm thinking about going next October but everything is so up in air it makes it hard to decided if we should book or not.
 

Hannah nz

Earning My Ears
Joined
Aug 4, 2015
I think I am going to cancel this week and plan to go in 5 ish year :O
We will stay local and maybe go to Queenstown instead
 
  • BecBennett

    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
    Joined
    Aug 21, 2007
    I've got my fingers crossed that the parks are back to normal by Feb/Mar 2021. I don't know if I'd travel before then with all the restrictions because I don't think I'd enjoy myself as much. We haven't booked anything yet though, so we're just waiting and watching.
     

    Hannah nz

    Earning My Ears
    Joined
    Aug 4, 2015
    Just got a cancellation email for dining. We are fully cancelling this week.


    Hello Hannah,

    As we plan for the reopening of our Disney Resort hotels and Theme Parks, we are keeping the wellbeing of our Guests and Cast in mind. To manage capacity and foster physical distancing during this unprecedented period, at reopen we will be changing - and suspending - some dining and other experience bookings.

    As a result of limited capacity, we have made the difficult decision to cancel existing dining reservations and experience bookings.

    We’re putting a great deal of thought into helping you return to the magic and appreciate your patience. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

    Your Cancellation Confirmation Number is XXXXXX

    Reservation for 2 on 9/9/2020

    Chef Art Smith's Homecomin' - Disney Springs

    1:05 PM
     

    Hannah nz

    Earning My Ears
    Joined
    Aug 4, 2015
    wow they are cancelling dining reservations for the 9/9 that is a while away.
    Yeah all my dining was gone, no EMH, no parking hopping, no parades, no fireworks etc. Obviously this can change but when you have to pre-plan so much this is not worth it to me.
     

  • Connect

    TODAY'S HEADLINES


    Top