People are so done with Covid!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mom2rtk

Invented the term "Characterpalooza"
Businesses pay dividends to their shareholders. This is some percentage of what's left over after expenses. My average stock holding grows its dividend 8% per year. Meanwhile, the employee share of earnings has dropped for decades. How many companies have you worked for that raise your income 8% per year or more?

If businesses raise their prices, they will at some point lose volume. How high they can raise it is anybody's guess? At a certain price, they won't have enough demand. What will most likely happen is that they will make less. There is only so much cost they can pass onto their customer. Another business will give up earnings to compete. You only have to look at Walmart and Amazon and how they took out mom and pop shops by being more competitive on price.

I've seen both sides. My dad was union growing up, so I saw their approach. I work in senior management and have talked union busting with lawyers. At the end of the day, you have to find the narrative that maximizes your return to your investors that your employees will believe. That's it. If you're convinced that paying people more will cost you more, then the businesses have already won. You're primed for being exploited wage wise.

The smart person is the one collecting the dividend. They'll also pay lower taxes. Qualified dividend income caps out at 20%. The poor one is the one collecting a wage and seeing maybe an inflationary increase in their salary each year.

Here's labor share:

You still haven't answered how you're going to get businesses to change. You can argue til the cows come home how right it would be. How are you going to make that happen?

RamblingMad

DIS Veteran
You still haven't answered how you're going to get businesses to change. You can argue til the cows come home how right it would be. How are you going to make that happen?
Businesses aren't going to change. They're going to continue to maximize their profits by paying the least possible. This is normal.

mom2rtk

Invented the term "Characterpalooza"
Businesses aren't going to change. They're going to continue to maximize their profits by paying the least possible. This is normal.
Yes. And they also aren't going to take additional costs out of profits. The costs will be passed on in higher prices. Which was the initial point.

RamblingMad

DIS Veteran
Yes. And they also aren't going to take additional costs out of profits. The costs will be passed on in higher prices. Which was the initial point.
There have to be customers that will pay the higher price. Otherwise, volume will just drop, so they'll be forced to keep prices down. Disney is the exception. They have a lot of pricing power. They can keep raising prices and people will keep paying more.

fla4fun

DIS Veteran
And where I am in FL, the appointments sit empty, waiting for people to sign up. Our local health department has opened for walkups, and when I was at Publix this morning, I was offered, twice, to come get a shot with no wait. (I'm getting my 2nd shot on Tuesday, so I declined.)

Here, it's not due to shortage of vaccine, it's due to shortage of people wanting to get one. :(
I don’t know where you are in FL, but in my experience in the greater Orlando area, it’s really hard to get an appointment. That’s why I panicked yesterday when my Walgreens appointment got cancelled for my second shot. There wasn’t an appointment to be had anywhere around Orlando at Walgreens for the next five days. The closest place to get one at Walgreens would have been today in Ocala, which is a 2-3 hour drive, depending on where in Orlando you are coming from, or Melbourne, the same drive length in the opposite direction. And it’s not like those had dozens of open appointments either. When I checked the vaccine finder website, most locations were showing as sold out of all vaccine types. I happened to find one open appointment at a CVS about 20 minutes away, but it is 20 minutes in the opposite direction from Orlando in a more rural setting. So I was still able to get my second shot.

I think there needs to be a better distribution of the vaccines so that areas that have tons of open appointments can get the vaccines to the people in areas where finding an appointment is more difficult.

RamblingMad

DIS Veteran
I don’t know where you are in FL, but in my experience in the greater Orlando area, it’s really hard to get an appointment. That’s why I panicked yesterday when my Walgreens appointment got cancelled for my second shot. There wasn’t an appointment to be had anywhere around Orlando at Walgreens for the next five days. The closest place to get one at Walgreens would have been today in Ocala, which is a 2-3 hour drive, depending on where in Orlando you are coming from, or Melbourne, the same drive length in the opposite direction. And it’s not like those had dozens of open appointments either. When I checked the vaccine finder website, most locations were showing as sold out of all vaccine types. I happened to find one open appointment at a CVS about 20 minutes away, but it is 20 minutes in the opposite direction from Orlando in a more rural setting. So I was still able to get my second shot.

I think there needs to be a better distribution of the vaccines so that areas that have tons of open appointments can get the vaccines to the people in areas where finding an appointment is more difficult.
NY Times did an article about this this week. There are areas, where people don't want the vaccine. And there are areas where everyone wants them. The article was super interesting. It looks like we're going to have large pockets of antivaxxers throughout the country that aren't getting the COVID vaccine.

• Pink Partridge

DIS Veteran
    I was shocked to go on World-O-Meter to see that there are 800 to 900 deaths in USA a day. I had no idea.

It's weird, because CNN used to keep a running tally on deaths. But for some odd reason, they stopped doing that.

So it's easy to see why people are so "over" Covid. The media suddenly stopped reporting about it non-stop around the beginning of February :rolleyes1

jlwhitney

DIS Veteran
    I was shocked to go on World-O-Meter to see that there are 800 to 900 deaths in USA a day. I had no idea.

It's weird, because CNN used to keep a running tally on deaths. But for some odd reason, they stopped doing that.

So it's easy to see why people are so "over" Covid. The media suddenly stopped reporting about it non-stop around the beginning of February :rolleyes1
    and about 8k die everyday in us from all causes.....

fla4fun

DIS Veteran
    NY Times did an article about this this week. There are areas, where people don't want the vaccine. And there are areas where everyone wants them. The article was super interesting. It looks like we're going to have large pockets of antivaxxers throughout the country that aren't getting the COVID vaccine.
    I would guess that in areas like Orlando, that will eventually see visitors from all over the world, and which has a high percentage of service jobs where people can’t afford to miss work, it would make sense that the demand is high. If you are in a part of the state that doesn’t see as much tourist traffic or has more jobs with good benefits, it might not be as critical to wait. I know there are still some people who would like to be vaccinated but are concerned about the safety of the vaccines at this time.

RamblingMad

DIS Veteran
    I would guess that in areas like Orlando, that will eventually see visitors from all over the world, and which has a high percentage of service jobs where people can’t afford to miss work, it would make sense that the demand is high. If you are in a part of the state that doesn’t see as much tourist traffic or has more jobs with good benefits, it might not be as critical to wait. I know there are still some people who would like to be vaccinated but are concerned about the safety of the vaccines at this time.
    If you follow what was going on in the EU, the AZ vaccine fear significantly slowed down their vaccination rate. And then countries had to start shutting down again. The good news is that we have Pfizer and Moderna. But people actually have to get it. I'm watching MI. It's unlikely that they can vaccinate their way out of their current surge.

• DisLiss

DIS Veteran
    Yes, they are, but being done with it doesn't make it over. Our schools keep closing due to cases that pop up due to kids getting together outside of school. It's so frustrating. Two school years have been affected already, and if this keeps up, we'll be facing a 3rd affected school year as well.

Bianca and Bernard

DIS Veteran

Clay County, and they've adjusted their plan yet again.

They have closed the site in Green Cove Springs at the UF/IFAS bulilding; they are only doing 2nd doses until 5/7. After that, scheduled vaccines can be done at the Clay Bear Run location.

Starting Monday, April 19th individuals who are interested in scheduling their 1st dose of COVID-19 vaccine can schedule an appointment through the DOH – Clay Bear Run clinic by calling (904) 529-2800.

April Vaccination Times and Locations
    All sites are walk-ups and will administer the Pfizer vaccine. Second dose information will be given when receiving your first dose.
    April 19-20 from 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM: Little Rain Lake Park, 6725 Little Rain Lake Rd, Keystone Heights

April 21-22 from 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM: Omega Park, 4317 County Rd 218, Middleburg

April 23 & 25-26 from 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM: Oakleaf Park, 3979 Plantation Oaks Blvd, Orange Park

April 27-29 from 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM: Walter Odum Park, 450 Parkwood Drive, Orange Park

April 30-May 1 from 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM: Fire Station 24, 5105 Sweat Rd, Green Cove Springs

May Vaccination Times and Locations
    All sites are walk-ups and will administer the Pfizer vaccine. Second dose information will be given when receiving your first dose.
    May 3 from 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM: American Legion Post 250, 3939 County Rd 218, Middleburg

May 4 from 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM: Keystone Heights Senior Center, 125 Commercial Circle, Keystone Heights

May 5 from 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM: Weigel/Middleburg Senior Center, 3916 Section St, Middleburg

May 6 from 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM: Orange Park Senior Center, 414 Stowe Ave, Orange Park

May 7 from 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM: Clayton & Mildred Revels Senior Center, 604 Walnut St, Green Cove Springs

I hopped on the Publix website, and I can get a spot on Sunday and Monday, as of this morning, at the locations closest to my house.

We either have a lot of excess vaccines in Clay, or not enough people want them or have already had them...

When I took DS to get his first shot, the place was almost empty. Since it was thee day after it opened up to 16+, we figured they would be packed, but nope; very few.

dvcgirl67

DIS Veteran
    We are attending a wedding this weekend. Our first social event since February of last year. ONLY going because DH and I are vaccinated, the wedding is reasonably sized and outdoors...and I am still nervous about going. It is going to take a long time for us to feel comfortable being "normal".
    This is the only type of wedding I would attend right now, even though we'll be fully vaccinated soon. We had two coming up this summer/fall. Both "kids of cousins" on DH side. One was just postponed again to next summer (was supposed to take place last summer). I think the other one is later this summer....it was also supposed to be last summer. We won't attend that one if it's indoors because too many people on DH's side will likely not be vaccinated. They think it's overblown....some still call it a hoax. So, hard pass on being indoors with that crew.

dvcgirl67

DIS Veteran
    Since vaccination attitudes track so closely with certain other attitudes, it is very likely that most of us will find ourselves in "bubbles" where all or most of our social circles share our position, whichever position that may be.
    This is what we're really seeing in our family....on both sides. This pandemic has revealed a lot about all of us. And in our family, it has revealed attitudes and values by some that are so opposed to our own, that we really don't see these people the same way any longer. It's sad, but true. I would imagine there are millions like us going through the same thing. This period has been one of the greatest social experiments in human history.

punkin

<font color=purple>Went through pain just to look
    This is what we're really seeing in our family....on both sides. This pandemic has revealed a lot about all of us. And in our family, it has revealed attitudes and values by some that are so opposed to our own, that we really don't see these people the same way any longer. It's sad, but true. I would imagine there are millions like us going through the same thing. This period has been one of the greatest social experiments in human history.
    That's funny. Everyone in my extended family would crawl over broken glass to get a vaccine.

dvcgirl67

DIS Veteran
    That's funny. Everyone in my extended family would crawl over broken glass to get a vaccine.
    Thankfully, we have people like this too. My sisters and their SO's and kids. All of our parents are vaccinated. But a there are branches in our family tree that are growing off in another direction. We could call them the "freedom branch". A couple of branches actually. Oh well, it is what it is I suppose.

punkin

<font color=purple>Went through pain just to look
    Thankfully, we have people like this too. My sisters and their SO's and kids. All of our parents are vaccinated. But a there are branches in our family tree that are growing off in another direction. We could call them the "freedom branch". A couple of branches actually. Oh well, it is what it is I suppose.
    I'm all for freedom. I would hate to be forced into taking a vaccine, BUT no one is forcing us and I want the FREEDOM to leave my house and socialize. I'm sorry about crazy relatives. I have those also, but even the nuttiest of mine want a vaccine (I believe).

Colleen27

DIS Veteran
    In fairness, it would be almost impossible to answer that question while remaining within the rules of the board. There are ways to incentivize certain ways of distributing profits over others, and the way we do things now isn't the only way we've ever done them so we know what those methods look like and what kind of results we could expect. But any question of "how" gets inherently political rather than economic.

hsmamato2

<font color=magenta>Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad
    Well, here's one report that might cause hesitancy: https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/cdc-about-5-800-breakthrough-infections-reported-fully-vaccinated-people-n1264186

Data is now coming out since we have way more people vaccinated, that people are still getting infected, getting hospitalized, and some have died. These were not unexpected numbers, but it's a bit sobering to see it because I think we all have this mentality that we are vaccinated and "safe." Statistically, we are pretty good, but the vaccines are perfect. And for those of use who are no longer 20-30 something spring chickens, it's easy to be worried.

My cousin (unvaccinated) picked up COVID as the vaccines were rolling out. She was almost here. And to watch how it has it physically devastaed her is scary. ICU for a month, now in a step down facility. She'll never be the same again. I don't even want HALF of that mess. I'm fully vaccinated but it seems I can't still get it. But I agree that I have better chances now of surviving it better.
    This. I couldn't agree more with this post. I'm sorry for your (and some other pp's) terrible losses and difficulties through all of this.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Connect

TODAY'S HEADLINES