People are so done with Covid!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tink2424

Mouseketeer
See, the businesses know that isn't the case, at least in the US. Pfizer, Moderna, and J&J make SO MUCH MONEY in our healthcare system, particularly from the federal government through Medicare and Medicaid pharmacy programs that they KNOW they don't want to have issues with this vaccine, or they risk losing it all and becoming a disfavored manufacturer whose products fall off the "approved" list. Not to mention, there's WAY more money in doing this right, especially if boosters become needed, and all 3 know it.

Plus, in the US, you have immunity to lawsuit until 9 people say you don't...those 9 people have been known to not be the most consistent (and truly, you only really need ONE person, and then just later courts to refuse to hear the appeals)...
Can you clarify this as it doesn't make sense to me?

If you acually looked into this its not on the companys, the world as a whole told these places to make more vaccine per month than ever before. So in order for them to agree they asked for the exemption. They are busting *** doing there all to get a safe product to the masses but in the end it is way more than most the places have ever tried to make in such a short time thus wanting the safety net. Its not that they are making an unsafe drug its that the quantity is more than normal.
This is not true. ALL vaccines are immune from lawsuits and you can only go to vaccine court to try to get compensation for injury. There is no liability at all on the companies manufacturing any vaccine. This is one of the problems with vaccines in general and one of the reasons for vaccine hesitancy.

tink2424

Mouseketeer
For those that have had severe covid or are nervous about getting covid. Get your Vitamin D levels checked. Severe covid has been linked to low vitamin D levels. Also taking zinc, quercetin and vitamin C can help prevent severe cases. My whole family including my kids have been on these supplements from the beginning. Severe covid happens most of the time with co-morbidities including vitamin deficiencies that are overlooked or not realized.
YES, THIS!!! We should all be doing this anyway for overall health but this is especially important during a pandemic. And it isn't going to hurt you to be optimized with your vitamin/mineral levels. So many of us are deficient to begin with.

TwoMisfits

DIS Veteran

This is not true. ALL vaccines are immune from lawsuits and you can only go to vaccine court to try to get compensation for injury. There is no liability at all on the companies manufacturing any vaccine. This is one of the problems with vaccines in general and one of the reasons for vaccine hesitancy.
Judges have been known to ignore laws as they see fit. It doesn't happen often and it's not supposed to happen, but it does happen. Normally, when they ignore the law, it gets overturned at the appeals level. However, big enough miscarriages of justice can skate by at the appeals level...and have. Just b/c vaccine makers have never been sued, doesn't mean they can't be sued in the future. There are many companies and groups who can attest to finding out that fact too late. Ask the Catholic Church for a recent example:). Laws can be changed, even ex post facto (which isn't supposed to happen - again ask the Church), or even not changed and judges can just ignore them...

And then for the other part, all insurance, including Medicare and Medicaid and now the federal plans, has "approved" lists for coverage for medications/operations/equipment/etc. And those 3 companies have tons of products on these lists, not to mention tons of grants they receive for research. If any of those companies were to screw up on purpose, and then refuse to pay or fix their screw up, there is no doubt, they and their products/research would become persona non grata in the US. That stream of annual money is so huge, they aren't gonna risk it just b/c they think this one thing is a "mulligan" where they can f it up, and have no harm come to them. It's not, and they know it.

Maybe all of this shouldn't work this way, but it's the reality of the system we have vs the ideal...so, maybe the vaccines won't work or maybe they will have issues - nothing's certain. But what I am certain of - if either of those two things happen, it won't be b/c the company put short term profit 1st or cut corners or did something unethical. They put their best foot forward on this and are doing it as right as they can, b/c they have so much riding on it, and they know it.

So, if it stresses you that you think they can screw up b/c they can't be sued, don't stress on that point. And if it's the only thing keeping you from a vaccine, don't let it. If something goes wrong, you will be paid, one way or the other. And that's all our system can normally do for you - make you financially whole.

Colleen27

DIS Veteran
I've heard speculation about Michigan's surge from several sources. Several people have said that numbers started to climb as more and more people began traveling. It's true, I do know an awful lot of people who resumed their yearly winter doldrums/spring break escapes to FL, AZ and elsewhere over the past 8 weeks or so. Several people said numbers began to climb in schools and communities shortly after HS sports resumed. I do know school cases were reported as climbing shortly after sports resumed, so it makes sense that kids go home and it began spreading to their families also. I heard from a couple people who are plugged into the health/medical networks that MI also had a bump in a couple of the variants that are thought to be particularly easy to spread.
I think for the most part, the travel angle is just moralizing. People want someone/something to blame, and their friends posting selfies from the beach are an easy and obvious target. But how much does location really matter when compared to individual behavior? Is traveling the problem, or is it all those little everyday choices like having friends over without masks because it is easy to let down one's guard with people you know and trust? Most of the people I know who have traveled have taken stronger precautions on the road than they do at home, in terms of masks and sanitizer and dining outdoors. Meanwhile, people who are posting pictures of themselves in different local restaurants every weekend are crying about how this thing is never going to end because people went to the beach for spring break.

I think Michigan will be there soon. At least where I’m at in SE Michigan, vaccine appointments are plentiful. I’ve had no less than 8 emails this week with links to make an appointment or attend a walk in clinic. Everyone I know who is over 16 and wants a vaccine has had at least the first dose.
Outside of the Detroit metro, I think we're already there. I'm in the Thumb and the struggle is definitely to fill appointments, not to find them. Everyone I know well enough to know their vaccine status has had at least one dose already, but county health officials are begging people to turn out for vaccine clinics now and my county as a whole is only at about 35% first-shot coverage*.

* One asterisk to that figure - I've been told data sharing between jurisdictions isn't as good as it could be, so people who were vaccinated elsewhere - in the county where they work, for example - are slow to be added to the county's bottom line total. Since 3 of the 4 vaccinated residents of my household fit that category, one of whom was vaccinated in another state (near her university), I can see how it has the potential to skew the overall totals. And there is a discrepancy of about 4% between the state dashboard (which theoretically knows the zip codes of everyone vaccinated in the state) and our local health department's numbers.

LuvOrlando

DIS Veteran
Just wait until all this printing of money causes inflation to soar. We are in for a world of hurt...
Inflation only happens if the money stays here, which it doesn't, at least not anymore. Used to be money supply could drive up costs as people's ability to compete for goods and services rose alongside income- but that's only in a closed system, right now it's like turning up the AC with all the windows open. At this point US debt is a boxed and stamped product, everything is different.

• GAN

DIS Veteran

First of all, manufacturers of vaccines can and have been liable for defects, in fact it is extremely rare for the Government to issue blanket immunity for any drug ...like they have for Covid. Which expires in 2024 I believe. I'm not sure where you got this information from. So it is true that they have immunity and rightfully so in this case -but cases have been settled in court over the last 10-years. There are even monetary caps established for this very purpose.

Last edited:

cabanafrau

DIS Veteran
    I think for the most part, the travel angle is just moralizing. People want someone/something to blame, and their friends posting selfies from the beach are an easy and obvious target. But how much does location really matter when compared to individual behavior? Is traveling the problem, or is it all those little everyday choices like having friends over without masks because it is easy to let down one's guard with people you know and trust? Most of the people I know who have traveled have taken stronger precautions on the road than they do at home, in terms of masks and sanitizer and dining outdoors. Meanwhile, people who are posting pictures of themselves in different local restaurants every weekend are crying about how this thing is never going to end because people went to the beach for spring break.

Outside of the Detroit metro, I think we're already there. I'm in the Thumb and the struggle is definitely to fill appointments, not to find them. Everyone I know well enough to know their vaccine status has had at least one dose already, but county health officials are begging people to turn out for vaccine clinics now and my county as a whole is only at about 35% first-shot coverage*.

* One asterisk to that figure - I've been told data sharing between jurisdictions isn't as good as it could be, so people who were vaccinated elsewhere - in the county where they work, for example - are slow to be added to the county's bottom line total. Since 3 of the 4 vaccinated residents of my household fit that category, one of whom was vaccinated in another state (near her university), I can see how it has the potential to skew the overall totals. And there is a discrepancy of about 4% between the state dashboard (which theoretically knows the zip codes of everyone vaccinated in the state) and our local health department's numbers.
    I wasn't moralizing mentioning the travel connection, that's actually been a topic of discussions among groups of people trying to understand the spread and the sudden surge, not for the purpose of pointing fingers. Apparently the variants are also indicators in that regard as well. I do know of two different households that traveled in February and early March and wound up sick -- completely unrelated and traveled to different destinations.

I know of another family where the parents went ahead with their normal snowbird routine earlier this year and both wound up hospitalized, wife died, husband came very close. When I mentioned that on an earlier thread I received comments about it being expected among the elderly.

RamblingMad

DIS Veteran
    I get this but are you and most costumers willing to pay the higher prices for the services or items then? That is what will happen. So in the end those same people are still barely surviving because everything costs more.
    That's always the cop out. The reality is that business margins for a lot of businesses have plenty of room to pay their people more. Instead, they pay their shareholders.

• RamblingMad

DIS Veteran
    Inflation only happens if the money stays here, which it doesn't, at least not anymore. Used to be money supply could drive up costs as people's ability to compete for goods and services rose alongside income- but that's only in a closed system, right now it's like turning up the AC with all the windows open. At this point US debt is a boxed and stamped product, everything is different.
    The reason we're not seeing inflation from "printing" money is because of the liquidity trap and how this process is actually happening, which is far too technical for most people to grasp. But it makes a good headline.

Jmljasmine

Mouseketeer
    Have you looked at Maryland? We have huge drive-thru vaccine locations. I get emails about 3x per week encouraging everyone to get their vaccines.
    I hadn't checked MD since my parents in rural MD had been struggling to get anything without going to the city. After the baby is born we can check Fredrick unless our county changes or WV is up and running again.

mom2rtk

Invented the term "Characterpalooza"
    That's always the cop out. The reality is that business margins for a lot of businesses have plenty of room to pay their people more. Instead, they pay their shareholders.
    So do you think businesses will willingly absorb that extra cost all of a sudden?

RamblingMad

DIS Veteran
    So do you think businesses will willingly absorb that extra cost all of a sudden?
    Businesses pay dividends to their shareholders. This is some percentage of what's left over after expenses. My average stock holding grows its dividend 8% per year. Meanwhile, the employee share of earnings has dropped for decades. How many companies have you worked for that raise your income 8% per year or more?

If businesses raise their prices, they will at some point lose volume. How high they can raise it is anybody's guess? At a certain price, they won't have enough demand. What will most likely happen is that they will make less. There is only so much cost they can pass onto their customer. Another business will give up earnings to compete. You only have to look at Walmart and Amazon and how they took out mom and pop shops by being more competitive on price.

I've seen both sides. My dad was union growing up, so I saw their approach. I work in senior management and have talked union busting with lawyers. At the end of the day, you have to find the narrative that maximizes your return to your investors that your employees will believe. That's it. If you're convinced that paying people more will cost you more, then the businesses have already won. You're primed for being exploited wage wise.

The smart person is the one collecting the dividend. They'll also pay lower taxes. Qualified dividend income caps out at 20%. The poor one is the one collecting a wage and seeing maybe an inflationary increase in their salary each year.

Here's labor share:

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Connect

TODAY'S HEADLINES