Pop Century vs. Caribbean Beach

Pickles516

Earning My Ears
This thread is super uplifting. CBR is where I stayed as a kid when my family did Disney, and I’ve been seeing a lot of hate for it around the web. I’m in the initial planning stages of a trip right now and was considering CBR as our “budget” option if we can’t swing a deluxe or rent DVC points. Glad to hear about these good experiences!

BrotherCraig

DIS Veteran
This thread is super uplifting. CBR is where I stayed as a kid when my family did Disney, and I’ve been seeing a lot of hate for it around the web. I’m in the initial planning stages of a trip right now and was considering CBR as our “budget” option if we can’t swing a deluxe or rent DVC points. Glad to hear about these good experiences!
We are staying there for the first time next month. Looking forward to it. I don't listen to the negative stuff much. I have heard a lot of positive things about it. We wanted deluxe but $900 a night is a bit much for a room to just sleep, shower, and keep our stuff in.

2022 Walt Disney World Resort Vacation Packages Available
Guests looking to plan ahead can now book 2022 Walt Disney World Resort vacation packages for arrivals beginning January 1, 2022!
Get a Quote

JennyDrake

Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan
I have multiple stays at both. _I_ would pick CBR. Pop has 4,000 rooms so lots of people and noise in a smaller area. The transfer at the skyliner can eat up to 45 minutes at peak times. The last time I went we waited 45 minutes at Pop then ANOTHER 45 minutes at transfer. I don't know if spyglass cafe has reopened at CBR, but we found it really really good. Pop is standard burgers, fries, pizza and chicken tenders. My friend really liked the drinks at banana cabana. Since you aren't doing pool time I'll not elaborate on the benefits of multiple quiet pools with deep ends.

Edeyore

Mouseketeer
I have also stayed at both an prefer CBR. They not only have the main big pool, but smaller pools around the property. Often they are not very busy.
CBR's atmosphere is more relaxing and the having the Skyliner near is a plus. We are staying at CBR in January and will be in Jamaica, close to the Skyliner station.

heresabe

Mouseketeer
CBR is a very short Skyliner ride from Pop. So...even if one stays @ Pop, dining at CBR and, from there, walking to Riviera, is easily accomplished.

heresabe

Mouseketeer
I don't know if spyglass cafe has reopened at CBR, but we found it really really good. Pop is standard burgers, fries, pizza and chicken tenders. My friend really liked the drinks at banana cabana. Since you aren't doing pool time I'll not elaborate on the benefits of multiple quiet pools with deep ends.
I don't agree with JennyDrake's food assessment. While Pop is, indeed, a food court, there are some really good options in addition to the "standard burgers, fries, pizza and chicken tenders." As
Dr. M stated, Pop's food court offers a tasty pot roast. I am disappointed, however, that Pop and AofA's food courts now appear to offer identical options.

RoseGold

DIS Veteran
I have multiple stays at both. _I_ would pick CBR. Pop has 4,000 rooms so lots of people and noise in a smaller area. The transfer at the skyliner can eat up to 45 minutes at peak times.
IMO, all of the Disney hotels are loud. I mean, they're all old hotels crammed full of kids. The only exception I've experienced was Swan, and maybe that was just a one-off, haha. I have a white noise machine.

The transfer was easy pre-Covid. I can see how the transfer could be problematic with limited capacity and peak times.

• jimmymc

Professional Adventurer!
    I really like staying at Caribbean Beach right near the Skyliner. You never have to transfer Skyliner routes, and there is a bus stop for AK and MK at each section of the resort. Each section has a smaller quiet pool if you just want a dip, and with the bridge over the lagoon the main building is not as far as it seems.

Blondie58

DIS Veteran
    Love Pop in the 50s or 60s buildings. So enjoy the early morning walks around Hourglass Lake. Also like the food court at Art and it is just a walk across the bridge if you do not find what you want at Pop. Rooms are not the same caliber as the Grand or Contemporary but they are very new and do the job. Also like the laundry area so you can pack half the clothes.

heresabe

Mouseketeer
    Love Pop in the 50s or 60s buildings. So enjoy the early morning walks around Hourglass Lake. Also like the food court at Art and it is just a walk across the bridge if you do not find what you want at Pop. Rooms are not the same caliber as the Grand or Contemporary but they are very new and do the job. Also like the laundry area so you can pack half the clothes.
    I agree with you Blondie58- walking around Hourglass Lake early in the AM. with coffee, is a favorite WDW activity for me. One thing though- last time I was there, I found that AofA's food court offered almost identical items as Pop's. Previously, there were some differences between the two.

aubreighk

Native Floridian
    Hi all,

My spouse and I are planning a DW trip now for the coming spring. We are set on either Pop Century (PC) or Caribbean Beach (CB). I know PC is a value hotel with a more "kiddie/Mickey" type feel while CB is a moderate with a more island "adult" feel. Being in Disney we don't have about the "kiddie" feel as we want to be immersed in Disney. To me it seems like the CB rooms are very dark looking while the rooms at PC seem more chipper. However, I like the CB property from the photos I see. It makes you feel like you're on a beach vacation too.

We've never been to either so a more experienced person might be able to provide more insight on which to choose. From what I hear PC is a little more "upscale" for a Value resort when compared to the All-Star Resorts. Any input?

I know both have access to the Skyline which is a PLUS! Also, we'll barely be in our rooms and we don't even need any pool days or hotel lounging - so we take that into consideration too.

Thank you!
    From my understanding, if you request a standard room, or one with the extra bed, you will be in one of the two viliages next to the Skyliner. I’ll know for sure tomorrow night!
    I’d like to add that PC and other value resorts are geared toward lower budget groups with kids and you’ll find a lot more kids at those resorts. So if it’s more important to you (since you have no kids) that your trip is a little quieter and relaxed, I’d go with CB. Plus, you can literally walk to the Riviera for dinner from there if you wanted.

• buzz1523

Earning My Ears
    Wow! Thanks everyone for the informative responses! Didn't think this thread would be so much of a hit! But it's definitely helping me decide. I will keep you all posted when we book later this month. :)

Also, is there any way to choose a specific building when booking through Disney or would you have to book through an agent to choose that?

Last edited:

GBRforWDW

DIS Veteran
    Wow! Thanks everyone for the informative responses! Didn't think this thread would be so much of a hit! But it's definitely helping me decide. I will keep you all posted when we book later this month. :)

Also, is there any way to choose a specific building when booking through Disney or would you have to book through an agent to choose that?
    Once you have your reservation set, you can set up your preferred building when you go through the online check-in, but that's not a guarantee. I'm not sure there's a guaranteed way to get into the exact building you want, unfortunately.

HopperFan

"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess."
    Hi all,

My spouse and I are planning a DW trip now for the coming spring. We are set on either Pop Century (PC) or Caribbean Beach (CB). I know PC is a value hotel with a more "kiddie/Mickey" type feel while CB is a moderate with a more island "adult" feel. Being in Disney we don't have about the "kiddie" feel as we want to be immersed in Disney. To me it seems like the CB rooms are very dark looking while the rooms at PC seem more chipper. However, I like the CB property from the photos I see. It makes you feel like you're on a beach vacation too.

We've never been to either so a more experienced person might be able to provide more insight on which to choose. From what I hear PC is a little more "upscale" for a Value resort when compared to the All-Star Resorts. Any input?

I know both have access to the Skyline which is a PLUS! Also, we'll barely be in our rooms and we don't even need any pool days or hotel lounging - so we take that into consideration too.

Thank you!
    Pop Century is very popular with adults who are at Disney for the parks mostly. We are all adults and stayed likely over 40 times. POP being on the lake with more lush landscape makes if feel more upscale than the AllStars. Easy walk to AoA food court and it's a really fun resort to wander and take pictures.

CBR rooms are actually geared to families with the fold out bunk and while the pool is a moderate with the extras, it is very much geared to children. Tropical feel, spread out so lots of area to wander and wind down, table service if you use it.

Just saying the "decor" does not necessarily reflect the atmosphere once you add people. I would say both are Skyliner resorts and rooms offer like amenities. It might just be a go with your gut or budget decision.

NOTE: I first went to POP kicking and screaming because I didn't think it was Disney enough with it being dedicated to centuries. I would guess most kids won't even understand the icons, collages of that decade but certainly can be fun for adults who remember that stuff. I love standard rooms facing the lake, I feel like I'm getting so much more for my money.

annekablam

Earning My Ears
    I would probably choose Pop over CBR only because I associate CBR with maintenance issues - perhaps others can tell me if this is an unwarranted concern - but as chance would have it, on my trip in 2019 CBR actually lost power overnight in a storm (no other resort did). I was at POR and heard on the bus the next morning how many people left their rooms because it got so hot and had to line up for water in the food court.

howedaniel

Mouseketeer
    I don't think you can go wrong at any Disney Resort imho. We have stayed at both pop and CBR several times and love both, there are pros and cons to both but for us these are not too much of an influence.

We love the aesthetic of CBR in particular the beach areas with the hammocks but the main negative of CBR is the bus service which depending where you are located in the resort. Either you are picked up first and have to endure driving around the whole resort to pick up at all the other stops before you head to the park or you are the last stop and the bus will often be full.

The transport at pop is much more appealing, just one pick up and drop off and gets you to the park quicker.

Both now have the skyliner which is a big plus.

Both are great! have a great time whichever you choose :)

mamamia2005

Mouseketeer
    We stayed at CBR, and were in the Aruba section. It was closer to walk to the Riviera resort to hop on the skyliner which was great.
    It was around 7 mins walk to OPR at CBR from our room in Aruba. One of the buildings in Aruba had a coke freestyle machine, and there were laundry facilities by the small pool ( which we preferred over the main pool). Overall though, I didn't love the resort
    With that all said, we are planning on staying at Pop next year. I'm not paying all that extra for CBR or even CSR which on the current deal being offered to UK guests is the cheapest mod.

buzz1523

Earning My Ears
    I love standard rooms facing the lake, I feel like I'm getting so much more for my money.
    Is there any way I can request this type of room? That would be optimal for us!

Would I select "Standard Room" during check out? I know there's multiple options. I assume "Standard Pool View" would guarantee we don't get a lake view? Or "Preferred Room?" Would I also be able to request a King or Queen sized bed? Do I do that also when booking or through the app after booking?

Last edited:

Dug720

See the line where the sky meets the sea?

Would I select "Standard Room" during check out? I know there's multiple options. I assume "Standard Pool View" would guarantee we don't get a lake view? Or "Preferred Room?" Would I also be able to request a King or Queen sized bed? Do I do that also when booking or through the app after booking?
    If you're making the reservation on your own on Disney's site, you'd need to call in to add any requests (then do NOT put anything in the request area of online checkin as that will cancel anything else out). If you use a TA, they can add the requests for you. If you purchase a Touring Plans subscription, you can make a request that they will email for you.

You're correct that "Pool View" is not going to be Lake View - it's a view of the pool. It's been a while since I looked at the Pop maps (I don't like the room vibe - too rehab chic for me) but I'm pretty sure none of the Preferred rooms face the lake unless a lot has changed.

You'd either have a Queen bed with the Queen murphy pull-down or a King bed - those are the only two options. You could request a King bed if you wanted.

BUT keep in mind that requests are only that. There is no guarantee you'll get it. And it's always better to limit the requests to 2 or 3 tops and then stress the priority order.

HopperFan

"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess."

I have at least 40 stays there, most with this view. I haven't stayed in awhile so not sure how the "request" page works now. We used to be able to ask for decades so I would do "Standard, 50s, Lakeview" but I think that has changed.

You don't want Preferred, none of those face the lake (crazy). You don't want Pool View. The lakeview rooms are Standard in 50s and 60s. There are some in the 70s (I had one) but many more with no view of the lake. There are lots of standard in 80s and 90s with PARKING LOT views, I don't like it over there at all.

You want to check out with Standard. Then I'm not sure if there is space to request a decade or if you can call and add it to your reservation (Lakeview). 50's and 60's will include view of Skyliner, 70's will not.

RE: The king. There are not many which is why it isn't a bookable category. And some of them are H/A rooms. If you request that they may honor just that and not your location. If you don't request it likely you'll get the queen/queen but in a location you want. Depends on which is more important.

I'm tagging @scrappinginontario - she is a POP PRO! and hopefully can answer the question on how to request location now.

Last edited:

Connect

TODAY'S HEADLINES