pre trip anxiety

DL1WDW2

DIS Veteran
After having to hand my then 1 year old son to a nearby stranger so I could faint I have embraced Xanax. He is 19 now ..
oh heck Did not mean to post ... but I was going to ask if your son has been told this . Are you able to drive.?

Microcell

<font color=red>No, no,no, those red signs with th
oh heck Did not mean to post ... but I was going to ask if your son has been told this . Are you able to drive.?
Yep he is aware! I have told him I could tell something was wrong so I looked for an older woman and said “my husband is in the store and I am feeling really badly” and handed my son to her and fainted. Thankfully my husband heard the commotion and came running.

Can I drive with Xanex? I think I could once in FL it pretty much wears off by the time you land. I haven’t had to drive while taking it but I don’t think I would try right after taking it. My fear of flying is so bad that one year my husband was at a conference in Orlando and flew back home just to fly back to Orlando with us the same day. He never left the airport in Kansas City, just got his luggage and went back on the next plane with us!

tinkerhon

DIS Veteran
Yep he is aware! I have told him I could tell something was wrong so I looked for an older woman and said “my husband is in the store and I am feeling really badly” and handed my son to her and fainted. Thankfully my husband heard the commotion and came running.

Can I drive with Xanex? I think I could once in FL it pretty much wears off by the time you land. I haven’t had to drive while taking it but I don’t think I would try right after taking it. My fear of flying is so bad that one year my husband was at a conference in Orlando and flew back home just to fly back to Orlando with us the same day. He never left the airport in Kansas City, just got his luggage and went back on the next plane with us!
Funny, I cant drive without Xanax !!!

AussieFan8

Earning My Ears
I used to have really bad anxiety before flying; it would start about three weeks before a trip. When it started, I would tell myself that there was no point being anxious so far ahead and I would be "allowed" to be anxious the day before the trip. Somehow that helped me "put off" the anxiety and lessen it for the weeks ahead of time, and then by the day before the trip, I was busy packing and so that distracted me from the anxiety. I also would remind myself that I was making a choice to fly; somehow that gave me a sense of control and lessened the anxiety. Good luck to you and have a wonderful trip!

Denee

Earning My Ears
I get claustrophobic too on planes so I always bring a mini handheld fan. Last time I flew, we sat on the runway for de-icing which exacerbated the problem. I started feel hot and anxious and claustrophobic because I was in a window seat and a stranger was next to me so I pulled out my little handheld fan and the extra air helped to calm me down.

Disney loving Iowan

DIS Veteran
I get claustrophobic too on planes so I always bring a mini handheld fan. Last time I flew, we sat on the runway for de-icing which exacerbated the problem. I started feel hot and anxious and claustrophobic because I was in a window seat and a stranger was next to me so I pulled out my little handheld fan and the extra air helped to calm me down.
Oh that happened to me once. There was an ice storm in Dallas and we sat on the tarmac forever. It was just awful. I was all the way at the back of the plane which is the worst place for me. I couldn't see out of my window because that side of the plane was covered in ice. The other side wasn't but the people on that side had the shade down. It was awful.

Claire82013

Earning My Ears
I've flown a bit since COVID. Try looking into different mask options to see what feels the safest and most comfortable for you. I personally prefer n95 masks because they help me feel safe, but maybe there is another well-fitting mask that works for you. If it does not interact with other medications you take (check with a doctor), you could try taking Benadryl before the flight as this should make you feel a bit drowsy for just a few hours. If you tend to have panic attacks from claustrophobia, try sensory grounding. Bring something textured to touch, something nice to smell, music to listen to, something to watch/look at.

• disneyworldsk

DIS Veteran
    I've flown a bit since COVID. Try looking into different mask options to see what feels the safest and most comfortable for you. I personally prefer n95 masks because they help me feel safe, but maybe there is another well-fitting mask that works for you. If it does not interact with other medications you take (check with a doctor), you could try taking Benadryl before the flight as this should make you feel a bit drowsy for just a few hours. If you tend to have panic attacks from claustrophobia, try sensory grounding. Bring something textured to touch, something nice to smell, music to listen to, something to watch/look at.
    yes, thank you all. above here, this reminds me of things to do that i have forgotten about. and the meditation someone posted too, visualizing it. yes. thank you . !!!

browneyedgirl1683

Earning My Ears
    What helps with my anxiety is creating playlists or watching movies that comprise the length of my journey. It helps me keep time in a more comforting way. Drinking things that are cold really helps me to take myself out of it. I also remind myself that panic is temporary. It won't last. I just have to get through the moment. Sometimes I'll buy myself bribes that I look forward to, which helps me. Candy, pastries, things like that.

For anxiety about leaving things or not packing things, I will take pics of my suitecase or my doors locked etc. This way I know it's closed. I have a lot of anxiety about leaving, so for me it helps to have check lists as well.

Belle2007

Mouseketeer
    It's definitely hard to forget something! I try to focus on the thought that the trip is so many days long and you can 'probably' purchase anything that you need there. (maybe) but it is good to know in the back of your mind.

I also take benedryl and try to sleep on the plane... but having a new book that I've been waiting to read helps alot too!

Connect

TODAY'S HEADLINES