Question on requesting seller to book stay while in ROFR

pianomanzano

Mouseketeer
Joined
Aug 9, 2021
Currently going through ROFR for a contract that has a December UY and ~100 points set to expire this December. Is it possible to ask the seller to book a trip in November for us (so as to secure something before everything gets sold out)? I know it'd probably get complicated if Disney takes the contract, but the seller doesn't seem using those points or any for that matter--these points set to expire were 2019 points banked into 2020 and all of 2020 points were banked into 2021, so i just don't want those points to go to waste.

Have any of you done something like this? Does it complicate things like closing and transferring the membership from MS perspective? Should I just wait and see and then book whatever is available post-closing/membership setup (estimated closing in late October), even if it's a random one-night grand villa stay (we'd have to fly in)?
 

ldo

DIS Veteran
Joined
Apr 13, 2007
All pending reservations are cancelled upon transfer and points must be accurate when it goes to ROFR. However, if the stay is BEFORE closing and your agent updates DVC during ROFR, this can be done. For ex, a seller could make reservations for himself/whomever for Nov and then close a day after check out. But your closing would need to be delayed. The 1st step is to call the agent and see if the seller would even be willing to do that. An Oct trip might be better, as it would not delay closing for seller. That would be more palatable IMHO.
 

BillPA

DIS Veteran
Joined
Sep 7, 1999
If you already have a contract, see if the owner will transfer those points to your existing contract.
 

Sandisw

DVC Forums
Moderator
Joined
Nov 15, 2008
As mentioned, the owner would have to agree to delay the sale until after the trip. That will delay payment. Most owners are not going to want to do that.

Now, seeing that it is August and closing would be in September, maybe they’d be willing to do it during that, but I’d bet they’d want you to pay for the rental in case you backed out.
 

pianomanzano

Mouseketeer
Joined
Aug 9, 2021
Thanks for the responses and info! It's probably best to just wait until things get transferred over to me. Sounds a little too complicated and wouldn't want to delay the sale/closing, not to mention going through ROFR first. If we lose the points due to to lack of availability or delays in setting up my membership then oh well, still good value in double points going into the new year. Thanks everyone!
 

Connect

TODAY'S HEADLINES

Top