Week at a Beach House - Packing List

Immadismom

Mouseketeer
All cleaning supplies, TP and paper towels. Dishwashing liquid and laundry detergent.
Bring more of these items than you think you’ll need. We’re currently on our last night at the beach. Literally used the last laundry pod tonight, but would have preferred to run two more loads of wash to bring home all clean clothes. Also, we could have used a few more trash bags and another roll of paper towels. We’re using grocery bags for trash and napkins for paper towels. It’s all worked out, but my own experience has been that I was about 3 short of each item for the week.

ncc1701

Scotty I need Warp 10 to WDW
We bring paper products ( TP, Paper Towels, Napkins, Tissues), trash bags, Dish soap, sponges ,plus dishwasher Pods.Also wipes, hand soap for the various sinks. Our OCNJ rental requires us to bring sheets, towels, etc. We also bring a few night lights to plug in to the hall & hall bathroom.
My Mom brings laundry detergent for her & Sis to do wash. But DH & I just put our dirty clothes in trash bags and do it when we get home.
We have found that our WDW resort mugs come in handy to have a soda, lemonade, etc. when sitting on the deck.
Food wise we just bring, cereal, water , soda, snacks, salt, pepper, sugar, a few other items and of course some Adult beverages. We stop by a Grocery Store to get perishable items.

barkley

DIS Veteran<br><font color=orange>If I ever have a
lots of great suggestions! i'll add a few-

along with aloe vera in case of sunburn, if anyone (like me) is prone to heat rash a tube of desitin can be a lifesaver! along the same line-blistex or chapstick (salt water does a number on me). all the 'just in case of' otcs are a good take along as well (i do a ziplock bag with smaller labled snack sized ziplocks-asprirn, aleve, immodium, pepsid, allerfex, benadryl...).

seems every time we rent a place with a 'fully stocked kitchen' there's either none or very little in the way of-

aluminum foil
saran wrap
dish washer tabs
detergent
disinfecting wipes
paper towels
toilet paper (or it's the stuff you don't want to use).

to make life easier i take ziplock sandwich bags of dish tabs and detergent, get rolls of saran wrap and foil at the dollar store, take my own home supply of wipes, paper towels and tp.

THE DOLLAR STORE IS YOUR FRIEND-stuff you pay $1 each for you don't feel too bad tossing at the end of the trip (though i confess-allot of it comes home with me to clean and pack for return trips)-in addition to the foil and saran wrap there's ziplock bags, beach toys, tooth brushes (pack of 4-toss um when you leave), plastic laundry basket (no rentals ever have provided one despite having washers and dryers), sunglasses-YES, SUNGLASSES. we have prescription sunglasses but they get scratched up in the sand so i get the junky dollar store ones for playing around in the water (along with the headbands to keep them on). any kitchen odd or end you think you might need-much cheaper at the dollar store.

help planning easy beach meals
any chance there's a costco or papa murphys near by? our trips tend to always include a tuesday so we take advantage of $12 tuesdays and grab a few different large pizzas. dinner as well as several days snacks/lunches. costco has lots of premade stuff that's easy to just heat up-their stuffed bells are great, street tacos are the bomb. their cold roll up sandwiches are filling and refreshing esp. when paired with some cold salads (if no costco is nearby but a premade sandwich type tray sounds good then research the local grocery stores to see if you can preorder).

as for make your own meals that are easy-anything that takes spices premeasure and put into baggies (saves time and space vs. spice bottles), make sure to bring condiments (again-dollar store is a great resource). we will do easy stuff like if we have a crockpot the soda pop pulled pork recipie (just get rolls, coleslaw and bbq sauce-warm a can of bbq beans to go with or air fry some fries), pasta bake (cooked pene mixed with grated cheese, marinara, pepperoni slices and bacon bits is my son's favorite), and of course any kind of bbq (costco now sells preseasoned drumsticks for $1.49 per pound-they taste great off the bbq with a simple salad or some ice cold watermelon).

marthachick

Traveling Mom
We cook and freeze taco meat to take. Bbq chicken in the oven with frozen fries, baked or instant mashed potatoes and cole slaw or baked beans. Spaghetti with garlic bread. Hamburgers and hotdogs. We take disposable pans and aluminum foil. Ziplock bags of all sizes.

Erica Ladd

DIS Veteran
No Costco but premade stuff and platters are a great idea especially for grazing. I bet my kids would love the pasta bake! Hamburgers and hot dogs are a must! They have both types of grills there so we will prolly get charcoal and use that one bc we have a gas grill at home and charcoal is a treat!!

Last edited:

mamamary

DIS Veteran
Yes our beach house also requires we bring sheets and bath towels. We also bring a few throw blankets and our pillows. Does your beach house supply beach chairs, umbrellas? Maybe a beach cart to lug stuff to the beach?

games to play at night? Citronella candles?

also our beach house from 2 years ago only had a coffee maker that makes 4 cups - we had 10 adults. So now one of us packs a large coffee pot, filters etc

Last edited:
  • Erica Ladd

DIS Veteran
    Citronella candles might be useful as we are not on the beach and next to a pond! I keep debating a beach wagon and if we will use it. The house comes with a golf cart so I hope to use that to get us close to the walkway onto the beach. There are stairs tho at the end of it making a wagon challenging. Good call on the blankets! We have a ton of kohl’s big one throws that will be perfect for air conditioned spaces!

Frozen Canuck

DIS Veteran
    Great idea about the menu. Now I could use help planning easy beach meals!
    When we vacation, I like to prep and freeze as much ahead as I can. I always make BBQ beef or pulled pork (recipes to follow) and have buns, coleslaw, additional barbecue sauce, etc. All you need to do is heat and eat. You can marinate chicken breasts or chunks for kebobs ahead and freeze. It is also easy to make meatballs and sauce ahead, freeze in a gallon bag, and then just boil the pasta at your destination.

I would really like to try these the next time, especially if we have easy access to fresh seafood when we arrive. You would need to bring enough foil pans for everyone, but I like that people can pick and choose what items they put in their packet. Grilled Clam Boil

Grab a couple of rotisserie chickens from the grocery store. You can serve them as roast chicken, or use the meat for things like chicken Caesar salad wraps or chicken quesadillas.

A frozen lasagna is an easy way to feed a crowd and/or have leftovers, which takes little effort. Can be made ahead with your favourite recipe or be store-bought.

Baked potato bar with whatever toppings you would like. Save yourself some time by making bacon ahead and grating cheese.

I make a couple of different paninis that the family loves. One is sliced sourdough (or other sturdy bread) with pesto, prosciutto, mozzarella, and tomato, with salt and pepper. The other is sliced sourdough (or other sturdy bread), cheddar cheese, bacon, tomato, sliced avocado, and salt and pepper. Bacon can be cooked ahead and brought along so you don't have the mess of cooking it on vacation.

We always find that you can never have enough snacks and drinks...popcorn, chips, cookies, fruits or fruit salad chunks, ice cream treats, etc.

Make breakfasts easy, and allow people to wake up and graze at their own time, by providing muffins, bagels, yogurt, fruit, bake and serve cinnamon buns, and other easy breakfast items. Golden Malted Waffle Mix (we buy ours at Cost Plus World Market, but you can purchase elsewhere) is easy to mix up (no beating of egg whites, etc.) and it makes great waffles just like Mickey's! Don't forget the maple syrup!

Simple side dishes like bagged salads, corn on the cob, asparagus or sliced vegetables for grilling, Greek Lemon Rice, steamed broccoli, creamy mashed potatoes, heat and eat rolls or French bread.

For lunch, everything tastes better on a croissant instead of regular sandwich bread...it is vacation after all! Consider making your favourite chicken salad recipe or turkey/provolone/lettuce served on croissants.

Remember to bring or buy the items that make average food great...fresh Parmesan cheese and a grater for pasta dishes, red pepper flakes and fresh herbs to elevate pasta sauces, etc. Make a list of items you don't want to forget to pick up like butter/margarine, condiments (mayo, ketchup, mustard), maple syrup, salad dressings, dips, dried herbs and seasonings (can be expensive if you have to repurchase on vacation), aluminum foil, cooking spray, skewers for kebabs, and a bouquet of flowers for the table!

Browse cookbooks such as The Best Simple Recipes by America's Test Kitchen for easy, yet flavourful recipes. Consider ones such as Spicy Sausage Pasta, where you don't even need to boil a pot of water for the pasta, it just cooks right in the pan

Barbecue Beef

5 pound boneless chuck roast
    1 cup ketchup
    1 cup K.C. Masterpiece barbecue sauce
    1 cup water
    1 onion, chopped
    2-1/2 tsp. vinegar
    2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
    2 large cloves garlic, crushed

Place roast in roasting pan. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over and around the roasts. Cover and cook at 300 F for 4 to 5 hours, or until fork tender. Remove the roast from the sauce and allow to cool slightly. If the sauce looks too watery, boil it gently on the stove top to reduce while the meat cools. You want it to be like thin barbecue sauce so it coats the meat. Shred meat with a fork and then return to roaster and mix with sauce. Serve the barbecue beef on buns.

This recipe makes quite a bit. It is great for company or potluck dinners. Leftovers may be frozen for use at another time.

Pulled Pork Tenderloin: buns, pork tenderloin, 1 can rootbeer, barbecue sauce and a crockpot. Cook and shred. Serve on buns.

Beef dip sandwiches

Thinly sliced deli roast beef
    Good quality buns
    Boursin cheese (optional but good spread on toasted buns)
    Onion (sautéed)
    Provolone cheese (also from the deli)
    Au jus mix (Lawry's, Seasoninig Blend, Au Ju, 1-Ounce Packet)

Dump Peach Cobbler

2 large cans (28oz. each) sliced peaches in juice or light syrup, drain one can
    1 box of white cake mix
    1 cup melted, salted butter

Pour peaches into 9x13 baking pan and sprinkle cake mix over top. Pour butter over top of cake mix. Do not stir! Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes or until golden brown.

Note: You could substitute 4 cups of fresh blueberries or blackberries or other fresh fruit in place of the canned peaches. We have made this with canned peaches and frozen blueberries together, and it was a wonderful combination.

Erica Ladd

DIS Veteran
    Thanks for the recipes! Good call on the red pepper flakes - dh will put that on everything!
    Also love the flowers idea. It will make the whole place feel special and smell good too!

starvenger

DIS Veteran
    games to play at night? Citronella candles?
    Definitely a few board games (I assume you're driving). Keeps the kids away from the TV. And make sure you have enough cables and chargers for your electronic devices.

We generally bring a wok and an electric jug kettle if we're driving to a rental. Wok because the frying pan at a rental tends to be in poor shape. Jug kettle in case the on site kettle is also in bad shape.

If the house uses well water, you may want to make sure you have distilled water on hand for cooking and drinking.

I agree with the pre-marinated meat idea. It's nice to have a supermarket nearby but buying ahead of time means that you can get stuff on sale rather than make a decision on the fly. When we went up to Tobermory, ON, recently, there was one small supermarket there (the nearest large store was about 45 min away) so we brought a lot of frozen, pre-marinated meat with us.

If you have any unusual condiments/cooking sauces you like using, bring them in some smaller containers (like those Glad or Ziploc ones). Example: we use fish sauce, oyster sauce and sesame oil. Odds are rather good that a rental will not have a stinky bottle of fish sauce (it's good stuff, and packs an umami punch, but it does smell) lying around, so we pack some to use.

If you're doing any boating you might consider getting your own PFDs. Beach house might have some but I feel it's better to have ones that you know will fit your family.

• barkley

DIS Veteran<br><font color=orange>If I ever have a
    we check with whomever we are renting from to see if they have a dvd or blu ray player hooked up to the tv. if not we bring one but either way we bring along a combo of family favorites along with some old school comdies our kids have never seen (this was how our then tween/teens learned about 'airplane', 'ferris bueller's day off' and others whereas i was exposed and subsequently hooked on 'hunger games' and the 'divergent' series). we also take along some microwave popcorn and movie theater size boxes of candy (dollar store or walmart for less than a buck).

Erica Ladd

DIS Veteran
    We have an Apple TV with lots of movies so that’s a good one to add to the list. And microwave popcorn is a great idea!!

Frozen Canuck

DIS Veteran
    that recipe looks fantastic! i have a recipe for 'greek sloppy joe' that we eat over couscous but next time around i'm going to do this rice!
    It is soooo good! I make sure to add chopped fresh parsley. It adds a nice freshness. They don't specify how much salt and pepper to add at the end, but I use about 1/2 tsp. if what I am serving is on the salty side, or maybe a little more to bring out the flavours.

I just made it again last night, as I always serve it with Chicken Shawarma. We do it as bowls, so layer the rice, diced chicken, tomatoes, feta cheese, etc. and a drizzle of the garlic yogurt sauce (part of the linked recipe). I told my husband that it is what I consider one of the best recipes that I make. I will often go to Costco, purchase large packages of their boneless, skinless chicken thighs, take the time to trim all of the goopy bits off, and then flat freeze them in bags with the seasonings. All I need to do is remember to take them out the day before to thaw.

Incidentally, this would make a great, fresh-tasting beach meal for people who like to marinate meat and freeze it ahead. (Curious about your Greek sloppy Joe recipe...do you have a link?)

Another great one in a similar vein...marinate boneless, skinless chicken thighs in McCormick Grill Mates Mesquite. Make a version of Chipotle's rice (recipe to follow), then have bowls of grated cheddar/Monterey Jack cheese, salsa (store bought to save time or homemade), guacamole or diced avocado, black beans, heated frozen corn, sautéed onions and peppers, and/or whatever else you might like. Having a bottle of Tajin to dash on is always a good idea. This style of meal is always great because people can pick and choose what they would like to add to their own bowls. They are easy to modify for people who have dietary restrictions or are selective, like my son, who only wants rice, chicken, cheese, and salsa.

Chipotle-Style Basmati Rice

1 cup white basmati rice
    1-1/2 cups water
    ¾ tsp. salt
    1 bay leaf
    1 lime, juiced
    1 Tbsp. fresh cilantro

Place rice into a fine mesh strainer and rinse well under cold running water, until water runs clear.

In a 2-quart heavy saucepan, over low heat, add rice, water, bay leaf, and salt and bring to a full boil. At boiling, cover pot and reduce heat to low. Cook for 15 minutes. Turn off heat, but DO NOT remove the lid. Let rice sit covered for an additional 10 minutes. Remove lid, fluff rice with a fork, remove bay leaf, and stir in lime juice and chopped, fresh cilantro before serving.

NYCgrrl

DIS Veteran
    lots of great suggestions! i'll add a few-

THE DOLLAR STORE IS YOUR FRIEND-stuff you pay $1 each for you don't feel too bad tossing at the end of the trip (though i confess-allot of it comes home with me to clean and pack for return trips)-in addition to the foil and saran wrap there's ziplock bags, beach toys, tooth brushes (pack of 4-toss um when you leave), plastic laundry basket (no rentals ever have provided one despite having washers and dryers), sunglasses-YES, SUNGLASSES. we have prescription sunglasses but they get scratched up in the sand so i get the junky dollar store ones for playing around in the water (along with the headbands to keep them on). any kitchen odd or end you think you might need-much cheaper at the dollar store
    Yes to the local doller stores! There is one in much of NE that I wish was in NY. It’s called Ocean Job Lot and truly has everything you could want. Check online and see if it’s near where you are going as they even list their circular on the internet.

Great idea about the menu. Now I could use help planning easy beach meals!
    This is a great primer for away from home summer meal planning and includes a weekend menu with all things included from soup to nuts. Never made the entire menu but what I have is delicious.

mrs. magoo

DIS Veteran
    You have gotten great advice. We bring more towels than we would need because the kids can use 2 or 3 in a day. I would make sure that your toilet paper is ok for septic systems if you did not have one. All of the cottages we have rented have specified that toilet paper must be ok for septic systems. We also bring lots more garbage bags that we need. For the lake cottage we rented we needed to have clear garbage bags. I bring all of our condiments from home because I do not need multiple bottles in my fridge.

mjkacmom

DIS Veteran
    Bring more of these items than you think you’ll need. We’re currently on our last night at the beach. Literally used the last laundry pod tonight, but would have preferred to run two more loads of wash to bring home all clean clothes. Also, we could have used a few more trash bags and another roll of paper towels. We’re using grocery bags for trash and napkins for paper towels. It’s all worked out, but my own experience has been that I was about 3 short of each item for the week.
    We just got home, ran out of plastic cups, garbage bags, paper towels and paper plates.

We go down the shore every summer and rent a house, this one was 8 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, and I had to bring sheets and towels for everyone. I put in an online grocery order and we pick it up when we get there. Two of the best things I brought this year were my countertop ice maker and roomba, will never go without roomba again! We had between 12 - 20 people in the house every night with the kids’ friends/SO’s. We only go an hour away so that people can easily come and go (I think we hosted around 15 non family members).

mjkacmom

DIS Veteran
    We did a big extended family vacation in June (18 people) and my sister in law had a cup with lid/straw made for each person that had our names on it. It worked amazingly. It was a surprise, so we hadn't planned on having these and my parents had brought a big Sam's Club pack of Solo Cups for drinks, which we ended up not using at all. We bought gallons of water and then everyone just drank for their cup and it saved so much trash from the landfill!!!
    Too funny, my sister did this for our trip last week, metal insulated cups with straws with names. We used a brita to fill them.

Bianca and Bernard

DIS Veteran
    It is soooo good! I make sure to add chopped fresh parsley. It adds a nice freshness. They don't specify how much salt and pepper to add at the end, but I use about 1/2 tsp. if what I am serving is on the salty side, or maybe a little more to bring out the flavours.

I just made it again last night, as I always serve it with Chicken Shawarma. We do it as bowls, so layer the rice, diced chicken, tomatoes, feta cheese, etc. and a drizzle of the garlic yogurt sauce (part of the linked recipe). I told my husband that it is what I consider one of the best recipes that I make. I will often go to Costco, purchase large packages of their boneless, skinless chicken thighs, take the time to trim all of the goopy bits off, and then flat freeze them in bags with the seasonings. All I need to do is remember to take them out the day before to thaw.

Incidentally, this would make a great, fresh-tasting beach meal for people who like to marinate meat and freeze it ahead. (Curious about your Greek sloppy Joe recipe...do you have a link?)

Another great one in a similar vein...marinate boneless, skinless chicken thighs in McCormick Grill Mates Mesquite. Make a version of Chipotle's rice (recipe to follow), then have bowls of grated cheddar/Monterey Jack cheese, salsa (store bought to save time or homemade), guacamole or diced avocado, black beans, heated frozen corn, sautéed onions and peppers, and/or whatever else you might like. Having a bottle of Tajin to dash on is always a good idea. This style of meal is always great because people can pick and choose what they would like to add to their own bowls. They are easy to modify for people who have dietary restrictions or are selective, like my son, who only wants rice, chicken, cheese, and salsa.

Chipotle-Style Basmati Rice

1 cup white basmati rice
    1-1/2 cups water
    ¾ tsp. salt
    1 bay leaf
    1 lime, juiced
    1 Tbsp. fresh cilantro

Place rice into a fine mesh strainer and rinse well under cold running water, until water runs clear.

In a 2-quart heavy saucepan, over low heat, add rice, water, bay leaf, and salt and bring to a full boil. At boiling, cover pot and reduce heat to low. Cook for 15 minutes. Turn off heat, but DO NOT remove the lid. Let rice sit covered for an additional 10 minutes. Remove lid, fluff rice with a fork, remove bay leaf, and stir in lime juice and chopped, fresh cilantro before serving.
    If you want it a smidge closer to Chipolte, use a lemon-lime juice mix, and they don't salt the rice when cooking it, only when mixing in the cilantro and juices. They use the mix for everything, including the margaritas (which are very bottom shelf tequila).

Connect

TODAY'S HEADLINES