what are the upsides to your homes location?

prairie_girl

Thinking about pennies...
We’re close to my parents, we’re close to downtown, fairly quiet, even though we face a semi busy street. Some would see it as a negative, but we have train tracks at the rear of our building and I love the sounds of trains rumbling by.

Immadismom

Mouseketeer
Love our town, great schools, close to everything. But we can’t wait to move to the mountains & have a few acres of land. Homes in our town are crazy overpriced, because everyone wants to live here for the location & schools. We rent, as we knew we weren’t staying, and our landlord has kept our rent VERY low, comparatively, as we’re great tenants.

Kittyblue

I'm on a double cul-de-sac so we don't get a lot of traffic. I'm close to a lot of stores I like. On a bigger scale, my town is close enough to better places to do spontaneous day trips - ie the beach, mountains, LA, Las Vegas, etc.

DisneyJamieCA

Registered
We live in a neighborhood and have great neighbors, but we back open space - so when I look out my back windows or sit in our backyard, it's open fields for miles.

Our proximity into our downtown. Also proximity to San Francisco, the ocean and the mountains.

DizneyFamof4

Mouseketeer
Small town feel, near stores etc, cul-de-sac, good schools, great beaches, close to work, quite neighborhood with only 13 houses and only 7 hours away from WDW. LOL
We grew up and worked in a big city (Detroit) and I told DW that this is as "living in the country" that I will do:) We like being by stores etc. and seeing neighbors and friends and would not like living in the country.

disykat

DIS Veteran
Upsides

*large lot
*out of town in what is considered a more rural area, but close drive to shopping
*privacy on 3 sides due to lots of trees
*a large green space behind us that is designated unbuildable wetlands, but dry enough to wander in
*on a cul-de-sac so no through traffic
*can do easy day trips to a city, the mountains, and the beach
*can get to good views of water and mountains in a few minutes

Downsides

*one side has pretty close neighbors with no vegetation between us so we can see each other
*a freeway is behind our green space so we can hear the traffic whoosh and occasionally sirens, especially in the winter when leaves are off the trees
*not walkable to anywhere

We love where we live!

• ncc1701

Scotty I need Warp 10 to WDW
    Before we both retired it was within walking distance of the PATCO train into Philadelphia. . We both worked in Center City so it was much cheaper & easier to use a train than drive. We are under about a 30 minute or so drive to the South Philadelphia Sports complex. ( the 4 major teams have their arenas/stadiums in the same location) & the airport.
    We are within walking distance of a few restaurants & a hardware store.
    My Mom lives nearby as does my Sister & her family. DH's siblings are also an hour or less drive away . Plenty of shopping & restaurants within a 15-30 minute drive. Plus we can be at our favorite Jersey shore locations in 60 to 90 minutes.( Except for a Summer weekend when all bets are off😉)

fla4fun

DIS Veteran
    I have all the necessities less than a mile from the house: groceries, drug stores, bank, and gasoline.

nene0182

DIS Veteran
    We live in a historical district on a one way with big trees and are close to parks, the river and Greenway. It’s perfect for us but I can think of some things other people wouldn’t like. For example we have a super small yard, no driveway (our garage is behind our house with a parking spot off the alley)

mrodgers

DIS Veteran
    I have all the necessities less than a mile from the house: groceries, drug stores, bank, and gasoline.
    Same but I can't stand this town so much that I still drive 45 minutes away to go grocery shopping. I'm use to driving as I came from the country and that was the drive for everything.

It's temporary and not at all where I want to be, so currently absolutely no upsides at all. Well, maybe one single upside which will be ending. My oldest goes to the community college so she is here more than she was in high school.

• tikilyn

DIS Veteran
    Upside
    The neighbors are not on top of us.
    A nice sized house on 5 acres and it was affordable!
    Living in a rural area
    20 minutes from the beach and two nice sized cities with all the aminties.

The down side.
    No high speed internet.
    Dealing with the USDA, We live in a quarantine zone for cow fever ticks (some kind of tick, idk). If we want to take our horses off property we have to have them come out and spray them. They then give us a two week pass. This happens every two weeks and it's such a hassle.

maxaroni

DIS Veteran
    We are in South Jersey and a great location. We are 20-30 minutes from Philly, NY & Baltimore 2 hours, Jersey shore 60-90 minutes and have mountains within a couple of hours as well.
    Our neighborhood is a mix of first time homeowners, families and empty nesters, a perfect mix.

indimom

Are We There Yet?
    Good neighbors on all sides. :)
    Minimal traffic.
    Close to library, pool, park, farmers market, coffee shop and bakery: the nicer amenities. :)
    Highly rated school system.
    We know everyone. lol.

Last edited:

morgan98

DIS Veteran
    I live on a National Park. We have a gate in our pack yard that leads to park land. It is wonderful to have that kind of beauty and peace right out your back door.

At the same time, I live about a mile from two major grocery chains and about three miles from anything you could reasonably need.

It is the best of both worlds and something we will probably not be able to replicate. Our house is probably two big for the two of us (it has always just been the two of us) but thinking of downsizing and giving up the location is hard.

fhtpdw20

DIS Veteran
    Every thing I need in a 10 mile radius. Busy street with no street parking but the silver lining is that since it is a secondary arterial street, it gets plowed and salted right after the highways.

Erica Ladd

DIS Veteran
    10 minutes to the airport but not on a flight path unless weather redirects planes but that’s not often. Makes for beautiful and colorful sunsets to look at off our back deck.

mjkacmom

DIS Veteran
    Wide street, driveways only on one side so tons of parking, not a through street, great neighbors who take great care of their property, 3 close friends so I can always borrow sugar or onions, close to the middle of town so not a border property, yet far enough that the closest retail is 1/4 mile away, only takes less than 10 minutes to walk to the Main Street which is a true Main Street that runs through the whole town with stores, restaurants, and schools (Starbucks and dunkin are walkable). Twelve miles from Times Square, one hour to beach or mountains, 1 1/2 to philly, 20 minutes to newark penn station, 25 to Newark airport. Amazing delis and bakeries. Emergency services like police, fire and ambulance have under a minute response time (full paid fire department, plus 2 volunteer, 3 square miles).

Super expensive to live here, lots are small.

LadyBeBop

DIS Veteran
    I'm on a quiet street in the suburbs. Our neighborhood park is a block away. There is some rural to our neighborhood. Yet, we're ten minutes from good grocery shopping, 15 minutes from the mall, and 20-25 minutes to Downtown Cincinnati.

Becky Mouse

Mouseketeer
    We can walk to the historic shopping district two blocks away... live theater, patisserie, gourmet cheese shop, smoothie shop, record shop, and weekly farmer's market. We can also walk to schools, which is nice. Grocery store and pharmacy are like 3-4 blocks away. Up until I got my new job two years ago, I basically didn't have to drive anywhere!

Connect

TODAY'S HEADLINES